Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I´m either thinking of swapping my 2018 Sv650 for a 2nd gen v-strom (3rd gens are still rare on the 2nd hand market)
Or upgrading it so it can handle me and a passenger.

I really like the SV, but passenger confort I would say it´s one of its weak points.

I usually commute to work and sometimes go for a small trip with my lady ( she can only hande around 30-50 km of riding depending on the roads)

Is it worth investing on a better seat ( I was thinking a bagster ready seat), hard bags , we would love to have a weekend away, and maybe upgrade suspensions

Or swap for a V-strom 650 plus some $$$

Have tried the Tracer 700, both of us didnt like it, as far as the tiger 660 sport goes she had no remarks, though I did enjoy the better brakes and suspension.

Havent tried the Strom yet, but would like a 2nd (3rd and 4th) opinion if possible.

Thanks in advance

Dev

·
Registered
333 Posts
My father has a 2012… I would say it depends on your priorities and your lady’s preference! If riding two up is an occasional thing, and she’s small to mid-sized, a bigger, plusher seat on the SV might suit. If the core of your riding is going to be 2-up touring with hard bags, I’d go with the VStrom. It’s still a fun ride, and a bit more flexible.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hey everybody,

I´m either thinking of swapping my 2018 Sv650 for a 2nd gen v-strom (3rd gens are still rare on the 2nd hand market)
Or upgrading it so it can handle me and a passenger.

I really like the SV, but passenger confort I would say it´s one of its weak points.

I usually commute to work and sometimes go for a small trip with my lady ( she can only hande around 30-50 km of riding depending on the roads)

Is it worth investing on a better seat ( I was thinking a bagster ready seat), hard bags , we would love to have a weekend away, and maybe upgrade suspensions

Or swap for a V-strom 650 plus some $$$

Have tried the Tracer 700, both of us didnt like it, as far as the tiger 660 sport goes she had no remarks, though I did enjoy the better brakes and suspension.

Havent tried the Strom yet, but would like a 2nd (3rd and 4th) opinion if possible.

Thanks in advance

Dev
For two up the Strom is vastly superior. Been there, done that. :)

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If riding two up is an occasional thing, and she’s small to mid-sized, a bigger, plusher seat on the SV might suit.
Yeah maybe thats the route I´m taking,

Im really enjoing this bike, had a 1st gen now the 3rd gen, I really can´t see myself riding an ADV bike, but I gotta try, all the other upright motorcycles make my spine hurt like hell after a few minutes.
Checked on the cycle ergo that it was one of the most forward ones in the sit and beg riding position.

I might get a FZ6 S for 2 up travel, and just use it as a secondary bike.

I am definetly not ready to let this bike go 😟

·
Registered
603 Posts
Check the new Triumph Tiger Sport 660.
Spec-wise it is a couple of steps ahead of the V-Strom.
From pictures I'd say that its riding position should be in between the SV and and ADV bike.

Reactions: Dev

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yeah maybe thats the route I´m taking,

Im really enjoing this bike, had a 1st gen now the 3rd gen, I really can´t see myself riding an ADV bike, but I gotta try, all the other upright motorcycles make my spine hurt like hell after a few minutes.
Checked on the cycle ergo that it was one of the most forward ones in the sit and beg riding position.

I might get a FZ6 S for 2 up travel, and just use it as a secondary bike.

I am definetly not ready to let this bike go 😟
Comfort's a very personal thing, but for me the V-Strom is probably the most comfortable bike I've owned. If you find the riding position is too upright you can easily swap the handlebar for one with less rise and pullback.
And at least here in the USA nice older V-Stroms are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I'm new to SVrider, but long time moto rider with varied experience.
Have a 03 SV650, and other bikes.
I was also looking for a DL650, but mainly to bump around on scrappy backroads tours without serious offroad needs... but not 2up. I have a bunch of rider friends who have the VStrom 650s, so have quite a bit of riding time myself.
It's a great bike, but other than ergos and space, its not really 'more' bike than the SV.
Depending on your riding and intent, as much as I love the 600-700 ish displacement bikes for varied and fun sporty riding, they just don;t do it for 2up beyond an hour or 2 mellow ride. Just not comfortable enough for 2 normal adults nor enough power when you might want it for the weight load.
And I personally don;t like big, heavy bikes either... Have ridden extensively on BMW GS, RT, some Goldwing time, Yam FJR 1300, Vstrom 1000, and Tri Sprint, in bikes which might be a 2up for me. Most all are too Big, some with inseam/height issues (not an issue for me...).Of these the ones I enjoyed were the VStrom 1000, and the FJR. Comfortable and surprisingly great handling.
But the one bike I could highly recommend in older model, usually well maintained by prior owners, and also sport bike handling is the Triumph Sprint ST, later 2000s are FAB bikes. Great 2up long tour capability, can be found with full hardbags. and great fun on backroads and almost sport bike handling. Really quite lightweight at 460 lbs dry, and really reliable. Great power in the full rpm range for those times when you just want/need to move on out of the way...
Otherwise, if I was searching for another 2up bike and couldn;t find a Sprint, I would go Vstrom 1000.
Can't beat the VStrom for decent, good mileage, good handling and are bulletproof with reasonable maintenance.
Again, it all depends on the 2, rider and pillion, and how and where you plan to ride the bike.
Ride On
Yuri

·
Registered
42 Posts
They are a big, top heavy beast especially the 1000. Had one, hated it. But, if 2 up, touring, and hauling gear is your thing they are the cheaper option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2019 V-Strom 650 and a 2019 SV650. The SV is quicker and more fun for a short ride but the V-Strom is vastly more comfortable. I would have no hesitation riding it coast to coast. I personally don’t get the “top heavy” complaints. It feels no more top heavy than any other bike with a large, conventional, fuel tank. Less so than the 2012 FJR I sold to buy it. I have three bikes but if i could only have one, I would keep the V-Strom. It is a little tall. If you have short legs, maybe you wouldn’t like it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tires are also important. When my father got new tires for his VStrom, he made the mistake of asking for the OEM tires. Never stopped to consider the tires they had on the bike when they sold it to him new were NOT OEM, as they were more street-oriented. He now finds the off-road friendly tires to be very squirelly on the roads, and he doesn’t want to ride as often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the new Triumph Tiger Sport 660.
Spec-wise it is a couple of steps ahead of the V-Strom.
From pictures I'd say that its riding position should be in between the SV and and ADV bike.
I did, I think the throttle delay there is while moving slow is downright dangerous.

I saw a lot of people complaining about it it their new trident's aswell

As far as the rest goes it seems like an amazing little bike. Really liked the brakes and suspension on that one. Still prefered the SV engine. But it was a nice compromise between the vtwin and a i4.

I'm really tempted by the idea of the v-strom. Just afraid that it might turn too boring , a bit of a slouch.

I lose the sporty side, but get confort and nice luggage bins ( huge what the dude has on there ! Proly could take my house on them), just the tires are a bit on the skinny side.

Also anyone knows if the hyper pro upgrade kits are any good ?
I could go on upgrading the SV forever but i doubt the investment would be worth it. ( Was thinking seat, suspension, braided lines and hard luggage)

Either way one day until decision making time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious to hear what you pick!

The other nice thing about the v-strom is they're so common that parts and accessories should easily be available. The familiarity of the engine from the SV could be a pro or con; will contribute to the "boring" feel but at the same time reliability in an engine could also be described as "boring".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello there.
Sorry for the lack of updates,
Ended up keeping the SV, I tried a couple of stroms, with custom seats and without, and i was sat too straight up, and my lower back does not like that.

Hopefully i can get away with getting a top case and some small hard panniers and use em when i really need them on the rare occasions we go for a longer ride.

Also with current gas prices (and in the years to come) , I doubt that I'll do much touring unfortunately.

I figured I might as well upgrade a bike I love than owning something I feel a bit meh about.

Now as far as seat go, I am hoping the options available dont push me too much forward. But I'm still researching that.

Thank you for your input

Dev

·
Registered
603 Posts
Concernig the seat: I had the OEM tuck 'n' roll seat on my gen. 3 SV, that I felt was kinda uncomfortable for me.
Any 4+ hours ride was starting to cause me pain in the butt, and I felt like I was seating all the time on a slide with a big forward pitch.
Solved the problem with a Top Sellerie custom seat, where now I feel comfortable even after a 6hrs ride and where I no longer have to fight the natural tendency to slide forward.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
After riding my SV over 209K and wanting something more exploratory-capable, most riding friends assumed I’d look at Vstroms for my RTW aspirations.

I stayed with Suzuki, but went even simpler.
A DR650 modified for long range travel.
(still respect’Stroms)
Tire Wheel Helmet Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Smile Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Water
Smile Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, most ADV bikes are the equivalent of an SUV. They spend more time in mall parking lots then off road, and the worst they’ll usually see is a groomed gravel/dirt road. You went with the equivalent to an old Land Cruiser… 😉

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, most ADV bikes are the equivalent of an SUV. They spend more time in mall parking lots then off road, and the worst they’ll usually see is a groomed gravel/dirt road. You went with the equivalent to an old Land Cruiser… 😉
They are to darned heavy for much else. My V-Strom isn’t an off road bike, it’s an any road bike.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We’ll, considering I’d taken my KZ400 and father’s Shadow 750 on some mild off-road trails when I was 14… Seeing as I weighed nothing, they did well. And the 750‘s power was glorious! 😄

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Concernig the seat: I had the OEM tuck 'n' roll seat on my gen. 3 SV, that I felt was kinda uncomfortable for me.
Any 4+ hours ride was starting to cause me pain in the butt, and I felt like I was seating all the time on a slide with a big forward pitch.
Solved the problem with a Top Sellerie custom seat, where now I feel comfortable even after a 6hrs ride and where I no longer have to fight the natural tendency to slide forward.

View attachment 61488
Did it push you forward a bit ?

I usually sit on the edge right next to the passenger seat. Might e-mail bagster and top sellerie to see how much space I lose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts