Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2002 sv650s and have a K&N air filter and Scorpion slip on wich was done by the previous owner. I have taken it to the shop because it backfires while decel and accel. At night you can see a blue flame spit out. I was told it may need to be jetted if it hasn't been already. I am unaware if the previous owner had it jetted and I was thinking of getting it done.

I guess my question is will getting it jetted solve the backfire issues?
Also if I switch back to oem air filter will it need to be jetted again? ( going from K&N back to oem?)

any information would be great information and appreciated. if you need pictures or videos of what I am talking about please let me know I can supply you with that.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I had a Yosh slipon and a K&N filter. I only raised the needles to get rid of constant rpm surging. Stock jetting and no backfiring or flames shooting out. The next owner did rejet the pilots and mains, but only because it felt a bit soft at higher rpms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Yosh slipon and a K&N filter. I only raised the needles to get rid of constant rpm surging. Stock jetting and no backfiring or flames shooting out. The next owner did rejet the pilots and mains, but only because it felt a bit soft at higher rpms.
hmm so any idea on what might be causing the backfire/flames and popping when accelerating and decelerating? Where should I start looking. My mechanic said rejetting would solve that problem although another friend who has a background said it sounds like he was just trying to make money off of me.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Flames and popping on decel are usually caused by unburnt fuel. I would say that you are running too rich. This could be caused by improper jetting(too large jets) or the A/F mixture screw is not set correct as well. Seems like the po may have fooled around with jetting or perhaps your carbs need a thorough cleaning. Your mechanic may not be wrong when saying it needs a rejet, if the po did rejet in the wrong direction. Pulling the carbs and checking the jets is the only way to know for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flames and popping on decel are usually caused by unburnt fuel. I would say that you are running too rich. This could be caused by improper jetting(too large jets) or the A/F mixture screw is not set correct as well. Seems like the po may have fooled around with jetting or perhaps your carbs need a thorough cleaning. Your mechanic may not be wrong when saying it needs a rejet, if the po did rejet in the wrong direction. Pulling the carbs and checking the jets is the only way to know for sure.
thanks

my mechanic wanted around 420 for the jetkit, installation of the jetkit and synchronizing of the carbs. I shopped around a little today and found a dealer who could have it done for around 320 with tax. I most likely will go with him, since funds are an issue right now.

Maybe I will just sell the bike and buy brand new to avoid the problem. Purchasing a fuel injected bike as an upgrade. I am just unsure as to what to do. Although I kind of fell in love with the sv :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took mine and had it jetted after installing a Delkevic slip on and a K&N. Took care of the back fires I had along with the surging at lower RPM. I spent right at $400 but that was for all the work, clean carbs, sync carbs, and then ran on the dyno to ensure it was correct. Haven't had a single problem since then and seems to have eliminated my start hesitation also.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You can always buy a 2nd gen SV for the FI and not have to buy a "new" bike. FI has its own set of issues when trying to maximize performance or to fix an issue with fueling. Carbs may seem daunting to get just right, but designers of FI systems have always tried to mimic their action. The problem is buying a used bike from an owner who either doesn't maintain the bike properly or doesn't have a clue what to do.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Man you guys are gettin ripped off you can buy a whole jet kit for about $75 ! I don't know what labor they are charging but it is not that hard might take an hour ! My mechanic ( old school guy mercury sync ) charged me $60 ! You gotta get away from dealers - businesses find an old harley mechanic who has been around carbs they are your best bet ! There are guys out there to do your work just gotta find em go to the local biker hang out ask ?s someone will hook you up ! Don't be intimidated f#ck em you will find some of the best mechs just wantin to make a couple extra bucks !!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man you guys are gettin ripped off you can buy a whole jet kit for about $75 ! I don't know what labor they are charging but it is not that hard might take an hour ! My mechanic ( old school guy mercury sync ) charged me $60 ! You gotta get away from dealers - businesses find an old harley mechanic who has been around carbs they are your best bet ! There are guys out there to do your work just gotta find em go to the local biker hang out ask ?s someone will hook you up ! Don't be intimidated f#ck em you will find some of the best mechs just wantin to make a couple extra bucks !!!!!!!
Yea I will try looking around. I found jetkit for about 80$$ and labor at most dealers by me is 50-80 dollars an hour 80 being the 420$ estimate I got.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I echo Cooker on this... there is no voodoo or black magic when it comes to carbs. The prices you were quoted are simply ridiculous and border on insult. Jets are cheap 5$ or less each, try bikebandit or similar places online and get a carb rebuild kit while you're at it.

Owning a bike comes with an opportunity, to learn more about it. One of the most rewarding feelings is fixing your own machine. These forums have so much information and available knowledge on tap that it's nearly impossible to go wrong on pretty much any maintenance task. You won't harm your bike by doing thigs slowly and correctly, and by asking questions as needed. (p.s. get a service manual and read!)

- Take driver seat off
- raise tank
- remove air box
- remove carbs (undo choke cable from left hand controls, take throttle cables off the carbs)
- drain gas from carbs and open the float bowls
- inspect/change jets, pilots, needle clip, air fuel screw
- put carb back together
- reassemble in reverse order

I realize it not an easy or fast process the first time around. But having taken the time to learn this has paid dividends as I never once paid a dealership to service my carbs! Money in my pockets...

Don't be intimidated, looks worse than it really is. SVRiders are here if you need it. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I had an independent mechanic shim my needles, change my front tire, check my valves, and a bunch of smaller stuff to make the bike run right. $200. Shop around.

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
It took me about a hour first time,jets are very cheap.
i was chicken first try,and just changed to recomended 17.5 pilot jets.
BIG improvement!
Read some more,asked Q,s and changed mains next time.
Gets easyer,only about 1/2 hr second time!
Never touched them again,in 77k. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was horrified by carbs until this bike. It is a simple job if you take your time and pay attention. Cooker and Z32 are right. You can pick up all the tools, jets, shop manual, and expendables for less than $320. Syncing them is a breeze. Hardest thing is learning what jets you need. I used Dynojet kit and Keihin jets. There is a sticky that has recomended jetting in it with loads of good info. Read thru it and find a case thats similar to your elevation, temp, and setup. Its a good base to start from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts