Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted a SV650 since the day I became interested in motorcycles but I've never had one. I'm not a new rider and my current bikes are a 2007 V Strom 650, a 2002 Honda XR250R, and a 2007 Ducati 1098. Lately I've been debating on if I should get something a little less powerful and more comfortable than my Ducati. It's a fun bike but I'm not really interested in the superbike ergonomics and I don't ride it super fast. I've read many of the never ended debates on the V Strom vs the SV650 and I understand what each bike is good for. Does anyone have experience on both who can tell me if it's worth it to own both? Or can I have a lot of the same fun on twisty roads on the V Strom that I can have on the SV650? I know the SV is better for riding fast and twisty roads but how much difference is there really between the two? My other thought is to get a different middleweight naked bike entirely but I like that the SV650 has a strong following and can still be had for relatively cheap. I'm not interested in buying something new and expensive.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've had a number of bikes in about 40 years of riding, not a big number but I have always had a bike except a few months in that time.

My last bike was a 2014 Monster 1200. My current bike is a 2022 SV650. The Monster had excessive and unnecessary power, but that was a ton of fun and it handled well. You may have noticed Ducati tends to be dollar intensive to maintain etc. The SV has less power of course, but it is more manageable, and easier to ride. Less twitchy throttle. Hopefully less spendy. Plenty of fun, and I am getting past chasing HP and speed. I do not need to go 150 mph to have fun. ymmv. Hope this helps. (y)

·
Registered
482 Posts
My father has a ‘12 VStrom 650, which is what I wanted as a practical commuter, but I ended up with a ‘21 SV650. The main difference is the seating position and the fairing. The engine is tuned differently, but it would be similar enough that I would go for something different, but in the same vein. The Street Triple is a popular pick, or a Monster or Shiver. If you want to keep some of the superbike ‘feel’ in a more ‘reined-in‘ format, a GSX-S might be what you’re looking for, or the Honda CB-650/1000 or Yamaha MT-09/10 or XSR variants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure how big a difference it is between the V-Strom & the SV.If you want something different I would consider a Street Triple,I have a Gen 2 SV650s & a 675R Street Triple,considering there's only a 25cc difference,they're very different bikes.
They're both FUN to ride.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Well, I've had 4 SVs and still have a V-Strom and an 848, so FWIW...

Absolutely worth it to own both IMO. Very different feel. And for me at least, the SV is a lot more enjoyable to ride on the street than the 848.
As you say, they can be had pretty cheaply, so give one a try. If you don't like it that much you can flip it and lose very little money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used to own sportbikes (CBR1000RR, RC51), and you're right, that much power is a lot of fun, but where besides a track can you exploit it? I don't know how much the sound of a bike matters to you, but it does to me. I looked into buying a SV650 because I heard one go by one day and it sounded a lot like my old RC51. After reading a couple of road tests and taking one for a ride I traded my '08 Concours 14 in on a '19 model.

·
very big dumb
9,289 Posts
I had first and second gen V2 Tuonos. So, 2003 and 2007 models. Both were awesome fast Thunder!
I kind of preferred the 1st gen, the power delivery was more "lumpy" and the overall ride more rowdy than the 2nd gen bike which was more refined.
i had a 14 s1000r. it was so smooth and planted it did all the work for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts