Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed that there is a great deal of IDIOTS posting under \"Guest\"? Should we hold people accountable to there posts?

It does make it easy for people to post a quick question or reply, especially for people that have no interest in joining the community. But it seems like trolls and/or registered users use it more so that they can post inflammatory comments anonymously.

Now don't get me wrong, most people use it correctly, it's just the children that are the problem.
I'm just looking for your thoughts.
Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont think its quite needed, unless people are curseing, defaming, etc.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

I dont think its quite needed, unless people are curseing, defaming, etc.
I second that I have not had the time nor the paitience to register oh well I guess I need to register anyways

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nah

In spite of a lot of really poorly considered posts, a lot of other boards I've seen are a LOT worse. I don't even see any profanity on here, even though we can type it out...it's ok the way it is. Unless people are being overtly profane, racist, etc., it's ok the way it is. For the most part, this is a respectful community.

~Aaron

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Re: Nah

For the most part, this is a respectful community.

~Aaron
So let's keep it that way. The main reason I no longer frequent the SV Owners' Board is because it got so out of hand. The profane and intolerant outweighed any thoughtfulness or respect. I'm certain that this is mostly due to slacking on the part of their moderator, but going to a members-only format is the best (or at least the easiest) way to keep the board from being taken over by trolls and jerks.

Bill

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and votes. I just wanted to see what everybody else thought about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree with bmetz99 100%

I'm a member of many car and bike related forums (have been for years) and have found that site with member only posting abilities are least likely to have trolls and flame wars and are easiest to moderate... It doesn't stop them, but it helps.

As for the time it takes to register being an excuse... That's lame. In the time it took to post that response you could have been a member.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
people should be responsible for their posts. i vote no.

·
Registered
73 Posts
don't know

i keep flip flopping on this.

by requiring registration you'd hope to limit the trolling and flaming and i agree it would probably work...

but a real trouble maker could just log in under a different name etc. granted it takes more effort but it might be worth it to some a-holes. i'm not tech-savy enough to know whether an offensive user's ip or whatever could be completely blocked....is this the case?

just out of curiousity, are you asking based on recent strings or from specific complaints received?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was asking because of the recent threads started by some guests and also other guests replying to some specific threads. Some of them wanted to troll (=deleted thread), and for some of them, it just seemed like they wanted to annoy the hell out of thread starter who was asking a legitimate question.

It would make it easier to moderate if everyone was registered but it isn't that bad now. It's funny when registered users post under guest because the admin panel tells me which user names are also using the same IP.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am reluctant to yes or no on this subject. So far I haven't seen the flaming get out of hand, like on some other boards. Though I do think that anyone that frequents this board should be highly encouraged to register. I mean it doesn't take long to register, it doesn't cost anything, and I think its a show of good faith that you want to be recognized as a part of the community.
Just my $0.02

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was registered under this handle on the old board. I'm just too lazy to register when I don't need to. :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm registered, but when I write to the board and my cookies are off like they almost always are, I'm a guest. Rage, Rage.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder how accurate that poll is if some people vote YES to the thread title, and others vote YES to the actual poll question. Anyone else notice that the 2 questions are opposite?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i think guests are fine, but everyone's ip-address should be shown for all posts. this method is not infallable, but it would help keep multiple-identities to a minimum.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re:

I wonder how accurate that poll is if some people vote YES to the thread title, and others vote YES to the actual poll question. Anyone else notice that the 2 questions are opposite?
Good point. I didn't notice it myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts