Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer so here goes:
Yet again another noob asking about tires. I bought new tires (pilot road 2) and decided to take in the wheels-only to the local shop to install/balance ($60 each on-bike vs $30 each off-bike in my area). Now for the noob question: I took off both wheels (that went surprisingly well for someone who has never done it before) but I can't figure out what I should leave on the wheels when taking them into the shop. Can i leave the rotors on? The sprocket? the collars on the rear wheel? the bearings? should i take them to the shop with the axles too?

I am hoping i can leave that stuff on without it being damaged since i do not have the tools to remove the wheel bearings.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Take off everything that is loose, mainly the sprocket and cush drive. Don't need to take anything off of the front wheel. If you trust the shop, you can leave more stuff on, but they don't want to take responsibility for loosing spacers and such.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Front wheel: I leave everything
Rear: take off the sprocket + cush

Taking the time to remove the rotors would negate the savings, IMO.

Don't worry about the spacers or axles.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did you shop around? That's a bit expensive imo. I had the local zuki dealership change the tires (with new stems) and chain for a bill.

Other places were a little more, some less.

Otoh you now have more experience removing moto wheels than me. ;) Good job.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did you shop around? That's a bit expensive imo. I had the local zuki dealership change the tires (with new stems) and chain for a bill.

Other places were a little more, some less.

Otoh you now have more experience removing moto wheels than me. ;) Good job.

$30 is cheap for off the bike. Couple places around here want well over $50 up to $100 per wheel off the bike. Dont even ask if they have to remove the rims from the bike.

I just remove the sprocket carrier and cush drive and thats it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Leave the axles, spacers, sprocket, and cush drive at home. Keep the rotors on.

In my area, prices are $40 each wheel on the bike; $20 each wheel off the bike.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I just remove the wheels from the bike and take them to the tire place. Leave the sprockets and brake rotors on the wheels.

Edit-I can't remember if I took the sprocket off or not. If it is held on with bolts, leave it on the wheel. Everything else comes off. ;)

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Leave the sprockets and brake rotors on the wheels.
Problem is, the sprocket and cush drive are held in place on the rear wheel by friction, only.

If either falls out and is damaged or lost while you are transporting the rear wheel to or from the tire shop, that's on you.

If either falls out and is damaged or lost while the rear wheel is in the shop, good luck getting the shop to own up to it and making you whole.

Plus, either way, it's a hassle that you can easily avoid. Leave the sprocket (and carrier) and the cush drive at home. They pop right out.

The sprocket is already machined to be balanced, as is the entire wheel assembly. Think about it. The carrier fits into the cush drive along a circle of slots. AFAIK, nobody marks their sprocket so that every time it comes off, it only goes back on the wheel at one particular position along the circle. The purpose of balancing is only to compensate for variations in tire molding (which is usually quite small these days.)

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Problem is, the sprocket and cush drive are held in place on the rear wheel by friction, only.

If either falls out and is damaged or lost while you are transporting the rear wheel to or from the tire shop, that's on you.

If either falls out and is damaged or lost while the rear wheel is in the shop, good luck getting the shop to own up to it and making you whole.

Plus, either way, it's a hassle that you can easily avoid. Leave the sprocket (and carrier) and the cush drive at home. They pop right out.
Honestly, I can't remember if I took that off or not. If it just pops off I probably did remove it. Anything that is held on with bolts I left on the wheels. It has been over a year since I've had my SV. ;)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Honestly, I can't remember if I took that off or not. If it just pops off I probably did remove it. Anything that is held on with bolts I left on the wheels. It has been over a year since I've had my SV. ;)
You probably took them off. Just tipping the wheel one way or the other could cause mine to fall out.

OP, if you're worried about the rotors at all, take a picture of the rotor on the wheel in front of the shop. Show them the picture if there are any scratches afterward and see what they say. Probably "Pound sand"

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
hello everyone,

I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer so here goes:
Yet again another noob asking about tires. I bought new tires (pilot road 2) and decided to take in the wheels-only to the local shop to install/balance ($60 each on-bike vs $30 each off-bike in my area). Now for the noob question: I took off both wheels (that went surprisingly well for someone who has never done it before) but I can't figure out what I should leave on the wheels when taking them into the shop. Can i leave the rotors on? The sprocket? the collars on the rear wheel? the bearings? should i take them to the shop with the axles too?

I am hoping i can leave that stuff on without it being damaged since i do not have the tools to remove the wheel bearings.

Thanks in advance.

Most shops have this thing called a telephone, you know.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Keep the rear wheel spacers at home. Note which side and where they should go back.
Those are important and can fall out and roll where you won't notice them easily.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you ever get up this way, I have a tire changer and balancer in my garage that you'd be welcomed to use. Free is nice, but this is a bit of a drive. :D

I called the local shops up here and got quotes $60-75 per wheel off the bike. :gtfo:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. Wheels are in the shop I really hope this goes well. took off sprocket and i assume the "cush drive" are the rubber parts that the manual calls the "wheel dampers"?

Also good to see some Michigan folk on the forum. Didn't call Rosenau, they're a bit out of my way, went with Kensington motorsports. called 3 or 4 places, all quoted similarly.

jbswear,
Yet another useless post by you, i've been lurking in the forum for a while now and your posts always stick out as utterly useless and the d!ck-thing-to-say. At the risk of getting flamed for starting crap on a forum, i just couldn't let it go. I am well aware of the available means of communication and I did call however the person on the other end of the line was either rushed or indifferent. I didn't really get an answer, pretty much said "either way" although they did say "leave the bearings on, they need them for the balancing".

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Yes, the cush drive is those rubber thingies. They are usually in there with enough friction that you can either leave them in, or take them out. I prefer to take them out, just in case. The sprocket and carrier should not go to the shop. That will fall out as soon as you tip the wheel over.

And don't mind jbs. He makes his share of valuable contributions. He's also the resident curmudgeon; its' nothing personal.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Holy cow RP that's way too much. I'd be buying my own set-up with quotes like that.

+1 about jb being the local curmudgeon. Stick around for a bit and you'll soon learn to shrug it off. I think he forgets the whole point of having a forum sometimes, but I don't think he means any harm either. :eek:

Edit~ ha! You've been registered here longer than me. Hrm... er... well? Hmm... I dunno.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Holy cow RP that's way to much. I'd be buying my own set-up with quotes like that.

+1 about jb being the local curmudgeon. Stick around for a bit and you'll soon learn to shrug it off. I think he forgets the whole point of having a forum sometimes, but I don't think he means any harm either. :eek:

Edit~ ha! You've been registered here longer than me. Hrm... er... well? Hmm... I dunno.

Dont really have alot of shops in the area anymore. Half the ones that are still here I wouldnt let them put air in tires. Most of them wont install takeoffs. Our local stunt rider bought a motorcycle parts business from a guy and is pretty fairly priced. If I can time it right, I just have the tire vendor at the track change them for $15/ea.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the feedback. Wheels are in the shop I really hope this goes well. took off sprocket and i assume the "cush drive" are the rubber parts that the manual calls the "wheel dampers"?

Also good to see some Michigan folk on the forum. Didn't call Rosenau, they're a bit out of my way, went with Kensington motorsports. called 3 or 4 places, all quoted similarly.

jbswear,
Yet another useless post by you, i've been lurking in the forum for a while now and your posts always stick out as utterly useless and the d!ck-thing-to-say. At the risk of getting flamed for starting crap on a forum, i just couldn't let it go. I am well aware of the available means of communication and I did call however the person on the other end of the line was either rushed or indifferent. I didn't really get an answer, pretty much said "either way" although they did say "leave the bearings on, they need them for the balancing".

Actually, mine was the most useful: Call the shop directly for an honest, quick, and solid answer.

All the others were just conjecture.

My apologies that you got butthurt by my blunt honesty.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
jbswear,
Would it have made you feel better if he put a winky face at the end of his post? ;) That makes using that useful thing called a phone, and asking the shop until you get the right answer, much better! :rock:

Just imagine every one of JB's posts has one of the good smilies in it. However, I encourage you not to imagine his balls on your forehead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts