Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this topic has several threads but im having a hard time following exactly what ive read. if i could get some help that would be great and i am sorry to be posting this question its just hard to sift through all this stuff.

i am 230-5 all geared up, i ride a 2001 svs650. i have been given a 07 gsxr 750 shock. from what i have read if put a raised dog bone alittle more then 1/2 inch it would be back to stock height. i have read that it has a lower spring rate so how does it help? should i just spend the money and get a zx if so what year? zx10 zx6 ir what? for a ride of my weight will the zx shock help?

thanks in advance for your help, this is just a very daunting task and i need as much help as possible

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so i think i got this thing figured out

i want either a 636 or 10 shock if i want an easy install as far as length is concerned. i know its not the ideal spring rate and the busa shock would be better but it is 330 mm when the fist gen shock length is 337. so i would need to get dogbones to adjust the ride height back to close to stock. if i get half inch raised dogbones i think that will work

any advice would be helpful here
thanks
justin

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
you got it. make sure you get the top bolt from the shock you are buying and use the sv bolt on the bottom but turn it around backwards so you clear the dogbones with it.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Yes that is what I mean and no, you shouldn't even notice the change if you get the zx10 shock.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am just a bit lighter than you (220) and I'm using a 636 shock on my 1st gen. It works pretty well in my opinion. Much better than stock and about 1/8 the price of an Ohlins or comparable shock, and that's used prices.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was thinking i liked he idea of few extra mm in ride height because im such a big guy. i thought higher while not comically high is better for turns. also will the 06 work also and lastly how many miles are to many? i have a line on a 636 for 50 bucke with 4722 miles.
ok so still have a few more questions haha

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
The spring rate on the zx10 is stiffer which is better for heavier riders. The change in ride height will only be in the rear, not the front which messes with the geometry albeit minimally in this case but still it does. The '06 is a different shock and 5,000 miles is really nothing on a shock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have been having issues trying to figure out what is needed, I am very close to your size and looking to upgrade my shock as well, hopefully will work much better so I can let my wife ride with me =) I am hoping the zx 10 shock will work for that

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok yeah form what i hear its a good shock also the zx6 is ok too. i think they are sprung the same, some say the zx10 is stiffer other say they are the same. im going to go with the zx10 i think it should work. also the busa will work with different dogbones

·
Registered
24 Posts
i was looking around and for some reason i cannot seem to find a place to get the dogbones, where are you getting yours?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts