Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have the threads, can't fully decipher what they are saying. this is what i have:

can i use the stock bolts from the sv that are missing from this set up in conjunction with my new dog bones without any fitment issues? i remember hearing people talking about having to file down bolts so things don't rub. were those the gsxr bolts they were talking about?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You should use the original SV upper bolt and the lower bolt that came with the shock. You may need to use a washer on the lower bolt to space it correctly between the links.

Your new dog bones should work fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You should use the original SV upper bolt and the lower bolt that came with the shock. You may need to use a washer on the lower bolt to space it correctly between the links.
+1
When you install the lower bolt make sure to put the bolt in from the right side of the bike. This will insure you have more room for travel between the dogbone. I did not need washers when I installed mine that way.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so 1 is top bolt, 2 is bottom bolt? what about 3? what you see is what i have, so it sounds like i need to buy a bolt...

·
Registered
358 Posts
3 is top and 1 is bottom of shock, resivior is mounted to the rear of the bike

Install the bottom bolt from the right side of the bike with the nut on the left.

You shouldnt need washers, put the bolt in and tighten it and check for clearance between both sides of the bolt and the dogbones.

Do not use the linkage that was supplied with the shock, just take out the two bolts holding the shock to your bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks like you have both of the bolts you need to install the shock.

The bottom bolt on your stock shock is threaded on the right side, you will not use it to reinstall your new shock.

The top bolt on you stock shock will be reused to install in the top of the new shock.

You will use bolt 1 to attach the bottom of the new shock to your existing linkage with the bolt goin in from the right side of the bike.

That is it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah ha! it's that easy... here i was wondering about the linkage looking different and what not. awesome. i don't think there were any clear write ups as to what exactly was going on with this mod. maybe i'm just stupid though and it's clear as day in those threads...

thanks guys. doing this on monday.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You could go to Home Depot but might be hard to find a bolt that specific size. I have a local store called "Fastenall" that can get me what ever size bolt to make it work.

Make sure you get a bolt with nylon in the nut to hold it in place. It prevents it from loosening.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When you put the GSXR shock on your bike will be lower and turn slower. But it will be more stable on the highway. Unless you got new links to raise it back up. Just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just did it last night. wow. it even makes the stock seat not as uncomfortable. getting those bolts off of the gsxr shock was a b!tch! same with the dog bone bolts. as i was taking the stock shock off i discovered that i was riding this whole time with no nut on the top bolt! looks like luck has been on my side.

sorry, i didn't take any pictures. it was a spur of the moment thing and i didn't have a camera. used an old fashioned saw to cut off the tool kit and bottom of the battery box. then used a drywall saw to cut into the wall of the battery box to make some space for the reservoir. like i said... spur of the moment... still have to put some loctite on the nuts, but i've been riding around and it's awesome. anyone know the torque specs for these bolts?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes. you can adjust height with different dog bones. i think it lowers it roughly a half an inch. it varies though because different shocks are different lengths. i got dog bones that raise the bike an inch so with i am half an inch over stock height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts