Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Shock Manufactorers

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  RandyO 
#1 ·
In the market for a new shock, I know of the expensive brands such as Penske and Ohlins...what else is out there? I know a lot of people are happy with the Hagon shocks.....just looking for all options

#2 ·
WP, Elka...I am not sure either make a shock for the SV.

What I do suggest is that you put aside the cost of the shock itself because you can throw the stock shock back on when you sell the bike and if need be, sell the aftermarket shock to recoup the majority of money spent on it.

FWIW, Penkse seems to be the brand of choice... FWIW, I run an Ohlins in the rear.

Whichever shock you choose, be sure to ask for a spring that matches your weight.

-Mike

#3 ·
You can also put on a 636 shock on there which is an improvement but if you are looking for dialed in suspension go with one of those you stated. Its really about what you want and how much you wanna spend. Myself I have the 636 and it seems so far to be 1000 times better but then again I am not a racer nor do I wanna spend 1000 on a shock. thats a quarter of what the bike is worth.

#4 ·
Storz said:
In the market for a new shock, I know of the expensive brands such as Penske and Ohlins...what else is out there?   I know a lot of people are happy with the Hagon shocks.....just looking for all options
Ohlins
Penske
Elka
WP(***********)
Hagon
Works Performance
Progressive
Suzuki

I probably left out a bunch, Hagon and Progressive are the lesser expensive

#5 ·
NHSVnaked said:
nor do I wanna spend 1000 on a shock.  thats a quarter of what the bike is worth.

I'm prolly going to spend $2k± between shock & forks for my nekid 99 with 123k, I doubt I could sell my SV for even $1k with the miles it has. but spending 2k on my SV is cheaper than buying a new bike

#6 ·
Ivan said:
I thought shocks were bike specific. That is, if you went to another bike you can't usually use the, say, Penske shock with it since the linkage rates are different for each bike.
Actually the more expensive shocks can be rebuilt for different bikes if sent back to the manufacturer. This is going to cost for parts and labor but they can be transformed....Different case, possibly spring, & mounting points, etc.

Grav.

#8 ·
RandyO said:
I'm prolly going to spend $2k± between shock & forks for my nekid 99 with 123k, I doubt I could sell my SV for even $1k with the miles it has. but spending 2k on my SV is cheaper than buying a new bike
But you could spend about $3000-3500 and get a used bike with over 100,000 miles less then what you have........

Your bike worth $700

the $2000 you were about to sink into Forks and Shocks.......

add just another $1000..... = $3700

You should have no problem finding a stock 1st gen with under 30,000 miles on it.......

Much better investment in my opinion......

#9 ·
67GTONUT said:
But you could spend about $3000-3500 and get a used bike with over 100,000 miles less then what you have........

Your bike worth $700

You should have no problem finding a stock 1st gen with under 30,000 miles on it.......

but if he does that, he has still has a 1st gen with shitty suspension

#10 ·
The point is that the aftermarket shock add value to the bike when you sell it, or you could get a good return on the initial cost if you sell the shock seperately (throw the stock shock back on when you sell the bike).

#11 ·
lkm said:
but if he does that, he has still has a 1st gen with s**tty suspension
I dont believe Randy has ever actually complained about his suspension, until now, with over 123,000 miles on it. So why not just get a whole newer fresher bike....... and hey...... he could find one with an upgraded suspension also...

G
#12 ·
Ivan said:
I thought shocks were bike specific. That is, if you went to another bike you can't usually use the, say, Penske shock with it since the linkage rates are different for each bike.
yes,they are.there are few that can be changed to work on other bikes but it is not cost effective.easier to sell and buy another.

#13 ·
67GTONUT said:

Your bike worth $700

I would be leary of buying a used bike unless I had a record of maintenance by a professional, mine might have 123k, but it is better maintained and better condition than most SVs, and because things have been replaces when needed with brand new parts, it has less wear than most SVs with 100k less milage

my lowest cost per mile is to maintain what I have,  I buy a newer bike and I prolly have more maintenance to catch up with, I see no savings

#14 ·
RandyO said:
I would be leary of buying a used bike unless I had a record of maintenance by a professional, mine might have 123k, but it is better maintained and runs better than most SVs, and because things have been replaces when needed with brand new parts, it has less wear than most SVs with 100k less milage

my lowest cost per mile is to maintain what I have,  I buy a newer bike and I prolly have more maintenance to catch up with, I see no savings
Point taken...... and I can agree to a certain extent. As long as the motor is in great shape........ but if its nearing the end of its life, and gonna need a refreshening in the next 30,000 miles...... might blow your cost per mile theory in the short term future.......
So what I am saying....... you seem to have a great relationship with your dealer....as do I....... let him know what you are planning, and ask for an honest opinion on the life left in your engine.

#15 ·
67GTONUT said:
I dont believe Randy has ever actually complained about his suspension, until now, with over 123,000 miles on it. So why not just get a whole newer fresher bike....... and hey...... he could find one with an upgraded suspension also...
I haven't complained about it but I am not satisfied with it either, I am a person who doesn't replace a part till it's broken or worn out, I have rebuilt my for once and replaced it with a newer one when that rebuilt wore out, my shock is now to the point I feel it needs replacing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.