Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a '03 SV650, and have been looking to replace the junk headlight the PO installed. I've been eyeing the twin headlight style for a while now and have seen tons of Dominator style cheapies on Amazon/Ebay, but have read threads about how the light output/pattern is even worse than the stock. So I'm apprehensive about replacing junk with more junk.

I stumbled across this Shin-Yo twin LED headlight (twin LED seems to be a rare flavor) and haven't been able to find much about it here or elsewhere. Does anyone have this installed on their bike, and what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
That's neat looking.

Have you ever tried to ride a bike with a projector beam at night? I found the sharp cutoff on low beam to be downright dangerous when cornering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's neat looking.

Have you ever tried to ride a bike with a projector beam at night? I found the sharp cutoff on low beam to be downright dangerous when cornering.
No I haven't, that's a good point. It seems that these LED lights tend to have stronger, more consistent light output, but unless you go with one of those adaptive lights (that cost 1/4 - 1/3 the price of a SV), I can see how it would cause serious issues in the corners.

Have you had better luck with reflectors? With those I'm mainly worried about finding a bulb/housing pair that work well together. My current reflector doesn't work well with the bulb, and the pattern is spotty and dim.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I found the stock 2nd gen round headlight acceptable combined with a bi-xenon HID bulb, however I was left stranded twice when one component or another failed, causing the HID to not illuminate. Since the HID is both high and low beam with just a movable reflector to change from low beam to high beam, I was left with no headlight at all.

To alleviate this issue, I adapted a Harley round headlight and bucket. It uses two separate bulbs inside a single round headlamp. I installed an HID in the low beam and ran a relay to power a halogen high beam bulb.

Unfortunately, the pattern of the low beam is poor. I can see why many buyers opt for the LED Daymaker upgrade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the stock 2nd gen round headlight acceptable combined with a bi-xenon HID bulb, however I was left stranded twice when one component or another failed, causing the HID to not illuminate. Since the HID is both high and low beam with just a movable reflector to change from low beam to high beam, I was left with no headlight at all.

To alleviate this issue, I adapted a Harley round headlight and bucket. It uses two separate bulbs inside a single round headlamp. I installed an HID in the low beam and ran a relay to power a halogen high beam bulb.

Unfortunately, the pattern of the low beam is poor. I can see why many buyers opt for the LED Daymaker upgrade.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm convinced by HIDs either. Hiding the ballast and all those wires isn't something I want to deal with. I'm also not very electrically inclined, so I'm not confident in wiring up a second bulb myself.

Right now my reflector has an LED that operates as both high and low. I think the bottom slot is for a low-beam and the top is for the high-beam, but I could be very wrong. I think the main problem is that the LEDs aren't in the right spot and so the beam pattern is very fuzzy. The pattern on the Shin-Yo looks leagues better than what I have currently, so I'm thinking I'll try to find a friend who has a projector headlight and see if its performance while cornering really puts me on edge.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Yeah that is certainly subobtimal.

I believe you are correct that the top half of your lamp is for high beam, so if you are trying to use a hi/low LED it won't be properly reflected on low beam, and probably won't be properly reflected on high beam either. The proper position for the light is in the center of a single filament bulb. An HID would have the proper positioning.

Similarly, if you were to take your existing hi/low beam bulb and stick it in your low beam part of the housing, then it would also not be focused by the reflector properly.

You might try two single LED bulbs. That might make your beams better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts