Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k, so here goes. Pretty sure it's not the oil in the motor (but i could be wrong). Now here's the symptoms. It will upshift, have a hard time getting third to catch....after that not a problem, and upshifting and downshifting between 5th and 6th is not a problem. When I go to downshift past 5th, into third and below, there's a little travel and then nothing, no downshift, can't feel the gear, to get it to downshift i have to catch the shifter with the side of my boot, lift slightly and then down quickly to get it to downshift.

When I got it stopped I get down, (off bike) there's a lot of freeplay in the shifter. I've tried adjusting the return mechanism thingy....but you can see all the free play in the shifter is coming from the inside of the engine.

Any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Have you adjusted the clutch cable at the other end (behind the clutch cover) ? You have about 1/2"-3/4" adjustment range here as well as at the lever...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Didn't you say in a previous post that you had just had your engine rebuilt and it wasn't running right? Maybe the rebuild is the source of all of your troubles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, talked to some of the mechanics, and they state that it would probably be the shift works, so I guess they need to split the case to fix it. Anyone know an easier (and cheaper way to reapair?)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 02, wouldn't downshifting into lower three without having to "jiggle" the lever with my boot. Turns out, my the pivot on the shift lever was just gummed up with crud and need to be lubbed. I sprayed it with some wd-40 and moved it up and down, and that freed everything up. At first, I thought it was something inside the motor, I even pulled the clutch cover so I could see what was going on in there. The gummed up shift lever wasn't allowing the shift rod to come up enough engage the next shift dog on the shift star. The same situation happened on a friends '01, so there's a decent chance that this might be helpful. If not, it's the best I could do...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Heard this from TWF awhile back, and since your engine was recently rebuilt I'd say make sure they put the C-clip on the shift rod. The silver looking rod coming out of the engine that the shift lobe goes on. If that is loose it won't shift correctly. They may have forgotten to put one on there.

Grav.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k, went out there and took another look at it, messed with it a bit. So here's where I'm at now. It won't up shift pass third without me having to reach down there with my arm and jerkinging up. When I go to downshift from second, (having to jiggle it from 3rd to second), it feels like there's to much play and the shifter doesn't go far enough down to downshift, which requires me to lift up a slight bit, and then down again. So I took a look at the diagram someone posted up here earlier, and it feels like one or maybe both of the springs are shot in there.

Now here's the thing. When I first put the motor back in the bike agfter the rebuild, I had to take it back to the shop because it wouldn't shift then, they took a lil bit to fix it, but he (the shop manager) didn't charge me. So I called back, shop manager's out for 2 weeks. Apparently, if they can trace the problem back to the rebuild, I might be good, and they will warranty it. So we'll see when it gets back up in the shop.

I have no idea how to get the shift rod out, and I'm guessing to get to it, I would have to split the cases, same deal to inspect the shift forks. Anyone got any idea on that one?

G

·
to take shift rod out you need to take clutch out,take off circle clip on left side(where it comes out of engine),than just slide shaft out.if all the parts check good I have feeling they lost washer on inside of tranny.if so cases need to be split apart.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TWF said:
I have feeling they lost washer on inside of tranny.if so cases need to be split apart.
I wouldn't have thought of that one, nice catch.

Grav.

G

·
GraVitY said:
I wouldn't have thought of that one, nice catch.

Grav.
usualy when you split cases last washer sticks to right case instead staying on tranny.than you put case down and after while washer drops.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TWF said:
usualy when you split cases last washer sticks to right case instead staying on tranny.than you put case down and after while washer drops.
Right I remember that now, mine was sticking to the case when I rebuilt her.  But, I was looking for things like this.   ;D  You are correct as this would cause the gears to become slightly off mesh with the fork sliders.  If this is the case I would think that the gears and or gear rods are now warn and should be replaced, even though they would work but their reliability may be an issue.  I would say if TWF is right on this, I would ask for new gears and gear rods too. 

Grav.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And I believe that makes them responsible for the repair as well, also, the shop owner said if I have any other problems, bring it back to him, and he'd get it fixed.

G

·
650RR said:
And I believe that makes them responsible for the repair as well, also, the shop owner said if I have any other problems, bring it back to him, and he'd get it fixed.
yes.question is what they will tell you is wrong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The shop manager and mechanic will be pissed off. The whole motor has to come apart. The first motor we rebuilt we had the trans put together wrong. Had to take the whole thing apart to find a dog on backwards. 4 hours later we say OOOOOPS!!! :mad:

Whole top end has to come off, and cases have to be split. Sucks!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now here's the other thing. i haven't ridden much since I put the new motor in. I put maybe 3K of miles or less on it, and got the motor back around the middle of last fall. Will they say that the length if time is to great? I certainly hope not.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You rode the bike that whole time with it shifting F-up like that??????? :eek:

If I built the motor and you had it for that long and you took it back I'd probably tell you to go away.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, it just started messing up like that on New years, that's the last time I rode it. It always had a little noise before, but then it started acting up on New Years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts