Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have about 300 miles on my SV. Reading the manual, it says not to exceed 5k rpm during the breakin period. But this kinda pisses me off. I went riding last weekend with two guys. One had a CBR600, and the other had a bandit. There were times when they took off at a stop light and pretty much dusted me. There were also times when I shifted, and it felt like the bike back tire was spinning on me.

What the hell am I doing wrong. I'm trying to get my shifting smooth, and I don't want to fry my engine going too high into the RPMs. Does anyone have any advice?

I know guys do wheelies in first gear...how is this possible without redlining?

N

·
0 Posts
It's probably more likely that the clutch is slipping than you're spinning the tire. Check the clutch freeplay as per the owner's manual. If you're still having trouble, take it by the dealer.

If your rear tire IS spinning the bike will want to wag it's tail a little bit, but I'd be very surprised if this is the case.

:)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I would hold off on trying wheelies until you finish break-in and get the hang of shifting and operating smooth. Learn how to ride your bike perfectly before trying to horse around on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Going threw my bikes break-in process was a real pain in the azz. But like the owners manual states the 1st 500 miles are the most critical in the life of your motorcycle.I didn't ride with anyone until I had 1,000 miles on my bike. Because the temptation to exceed the reguired speed and engine RPM's would have not been easy for me. I did a lot of up and down shifting and did not stay at anyone speed for very long. Between the 500 and 600 miles I visted the 7,500 rpm range often. I used the transmission extensively shifting up and down the range and using the engines braking power always. Loading the the engine and backing off with engine braking helps scuff in the piston rings.
Get that thing broken in and go have some fun.
Cheers! :wink:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There were times I've missed my shift into 2nd, and reved up pretty good. I'm a little paranoid now that all of my hard acceleration, and hard down shifting is going to have screwed up my bike. Do you think having over reved a few times screwed anything up? For the most part, I've been shifting at 5, sometimes 4.5. Is my engine f*cked?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I really doubt your engine is damaged.

IIRC, my manual says to keep it under 5k for 500 miles... so shifting at 5 should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts