Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looked down as I was going through some twisty roads today because and couldn't get my foot on the shifter and saw this! I'm new to motorcycles, is this just a random occurrence of fate or do these sort of things need to be gone through and lock-tite'd?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob. Any other known bolts or other important fasteners that tend to try and jump off these bikes on a frequent basis?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very common. Happened on my '06 SV as well. You're lucky you still have all of the parts. I spent the better part of my lunch hour walking along the side of the road looking for shifter pieces. Others can chime in on what needs to be locked down but that was the only thing that's fallen off of my bike in the 2 years I've owned it. Unless you count the rider ha hah!

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Just make sure the threads on the stud going into the rearset are clean before using the Blue Loctite.
I had my shifter stud come loose while riding during a rainstorm a few months ago. Fortunately, the circlip held the stud onto the shift pedal and I noticed it dangling before anything else happened. The worst part of the repair was getting the circlip off w/o damage so I could reuse it. Went by several dealers afterwards trying to find a spare circlip, but nobody had it in stock.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Lost my shift rod on the back straight at Beaver a couple of years ago, and I tend to be paricular about going over everything on the race bike.

There is a known design flaw in the second gen that is a particular problem if you put after-market rear sets on. The screw holding the rear brake reservoir hose to the MC will back out, even if loctited. If you take a close look you will understand why.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks Bob. Any other known bolts or other important fasteners that tend to try and jump off these bikes on a frequent basis?
The only other bolts that I found loose on my bike was the stock rearsets. There was one bolt that had worked it's way almost all the way off. (only like 2 threads away from falling out) Aside from that everything else seems good.

It's always a good idea to do a quick "preflight" walkaround check for any bike though. Especially before a long ride. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Mine whole shift assembly has fallen off twice. Luckily it was dangling so I could do a quick roadside fix. Put loctite on it and now its pretty golden. But now everytime I ride I have to make several stops to tighten my shift linkage... guess i'll have to loctite that as well.

Sidenote- I think you need to move your slider...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine fell off 4 days after I bought it.. new from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My 06 was missing circlip to hold pedal on the rearset, but never fell off. I just made sure to be careful and then bought diff rearsets/pedals. Could have just use some thick safety wire to replace circlip if I had thought of it, but it's all water under the proverbial bridge now...

I've been hearing of this occurrence more and more often these days.

I wonder if it can be added to the periodic maintenance section of the manual :p

Sidenote- I think you need to move your slider...
The frame slider?! Why?! I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ah, sorry... For some reason (guessing the camera angle?) I didnt think it was in the corner of the frame. I see now that it is. My bad!

Anyway, when you install the shifter back on, try to go to a bike shop and get a new circlip. I bought a variety pack of some sh*tty ones from a hardware store and I dont trust it. Get a new OEM one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Question because I can't tell from parts diagrams or online images -

Is there a difference in shifter location from the 2003 model to the '04+ models? My shifter rotates on the footpeg shaft, and it looks like in this picture that the shifter has its own shaft below the footpeg. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Question because I can't tell from parts diagrams or online images -

Is there a difference in shifter location from the 2003 model to the '04+ models? My shifter rotates on the footpeg shaft, and it looks like in this picture that the shifter has its own shaft below the footpeg. Is this accurate?
That's accurate. The '03s have a few slight differences about them from the '04s and up. That's one of them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's accurate. The '03s have a few slight differences about them from the '04s and up. That's one of them.
I'm assuming the shifter gets its own bearing on the '04+ ?

Because on the '03, it looks like a purely metal-on-metal sleeve type contact, and that means my shifter is really, REALLY loose.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Because on the '03, it looks like a purely metal-on-metal sleeve type contact, and that means my shifter is really, REALLY loose.
It's similar in that respect. The '04 shifter is just made a bit easier to replace than the '03s and earlier. Just need to remove a small circlip rather than having to remove the entire footpeg.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

There are in some cases a thin brown teflon(?) with-copper-wire-mesh-for-structural-integrity bushing(?) type thing in on the 1st gen/ k3 peg shaft to fill that gap and make it smoother action.

Don't have a picture, sorry. Idk if it was a stock item, or if it just came with woodcraft rearsets, or what the real story is, but I know my brake/shift pedals have that.

Again sorry for being so vague and likely useless response. Hope it helps at least a bit. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts