Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought it was a funny story so I figured I would share. I was riding over to Shenandoah Valley to ride the full length of Skyline Drive in Virginia. Everything was going great until I took the exit off of I-64 to find Skyline Drive closed because of icy roads, so I decided to ride route 340 which shadows the Blue Ridge mountains. After about 30 miles on 340 (135 miles into the trip) I decided to stop and get gas and a cup of coffee and as I approached the entrance of the store I went to down shift only to find I had no freakin' shift lever  :eek:. As I came to a stop in the parking lot all I could think (in a sarcastic little voice inside my head) is "dang I'm glad I let the dealer do the first service 230 miles ago so things like this would not happen". Luckily all the parts were still hanging under the bike on the shift rod so I was able to put everything back together. Well, at least it was an awesome 320 mile ride  ;D. I think I will spend a few hours tomorrow checking to make sure all the other parts are tight.

·
Registered
231 Posts
cadhopper said:
Just thought it was a funny story so I figured I would share. I was riding over to Shenandoah Valley to ride the full length of Skyline Drive in Virginia. Everything was going great until I took the exit off of I-64 to find Skyline Drive closed because of icy roads, so I decided to ride route 340 which shadows the Blue Ridge mountains. After about 30 miles on 340 (135 miles into the trip) I decided to stop and get gas and a cup of coffee and as I approached the entrance of the store I went to down shift only to find I had no freakin' shift lever  :eek:. As I came to a stop in the parking lot all I could think (in a sarcastic little voice inside my head) is "dang I'm glad I let the dealer do the first service 230 miles ago so things like this would not happen". Luckily all the parts were still hanging under the bike on the shift rod so I was able to put everything back together. Well, at least it was an awesome 320 mile ride  ;D. I think I will spend a few hours tomorrow checking to make sure all the other parts are tight.
Hi cadhopper, Welcome to the club of fallen shifter rods. :) I see this phenomenon effects the SV1000 as well as the SV650. :eek: Put a dab of locktight on the shifter bolt thread for no further surprises.
Cheers and Happy New Year
HTH

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Dealers should not be trusted with your life, they are scum. Learn to do it all yourself. You are betting your life on it everytime you ride. I would bet on myself first in almost all cases................

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess this is more common than I thought. I had that happen with my ninja once and a few weeks ago with my friend's buell (I know don't say it!). Don't put locktite on it, put Teflon tape on it so you can be sure it won't back out but you'll need to adjust it every now and then so don't locktite it!

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Marineshotgirl said:
I guess this is more common than I thought. I had that happen with my ninja once and a few weeks ago with my friend's buell (I know don't say it!). Don't put locktite on it, put Teflon tape on it so you can be sure it won't back out but you'll need to adjust it every now and then so don't locktite it!
Teflon tape! Now that is a new one! Kind of makes sense once you think about it ...

Is your daddy a plumber? ;D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
becman said:
never heard of this, what part(nut, bolt, etc..) actually failed so i can make sure i safety wire it down
The threaded shaft that mounts in the foot peg bracket is the part that fell off. There is a wrench in the tool kit that fits but you need to remove the snap ring on the end of the shaft and slide the linkage out to make room for the wrench head.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
there are really only 2 ways a dealer can do a better service job than the bike owner.
1. you're a complete air-head when it comes to mechanical work (this is not sarcasm, as many normal people fall into this category)
2. you're lucky enough to find a rare dealer with mechanics that care (such dealers are not non-existent, but quite rare)
dealers don't care about servicing bikes-- they care about making money. that means cutting corners on things like spending time to lock-tite the shifter cinch bolt.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Marineshotgirl said:
Don't put locktite on it, put Teflon tape on it so you can be sure it won't back out but you'll need to adjust it every now and then so don't locktite it!
Teflon tape??? You want to secure it, not prevent it from leaking. ::) No... Loctite is what you want. It comes in different strengths. Use the "242" medium strength (blue) and you'll be fine. It'll keep things secure while still allowing you to seperate the parts later with tools if you need to. Here's the description from Loctite's website (click on "Assembly Products" and then "Threadlockers"):
242® Threadlocker Medium Strength

A general purpose, removable threadlocker for fasteners between 1/4" and 3/4" (6 to 20 mm) diameters. Controlled lubricity for accurate clamp loads. Parts can be separated using hand tools.
Even if you screw up and use the permanent strength (red) you can still break it loose with hand tools if you apply some heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, my shifter fell off when I was at about 75 mph on hwy 101 here in SF, I had had the bike for about 2 months or so, and it scared the hell out of me when there was nothing there to shift! Happened a second time when I was with some friends, and then he put some loctite on it (I thought it would make it impossible to shift, or else I would have done it sooner)-- never had a problem in the ~3000 miles since.

I didn't realize this was a common problem either-- thought it was just a fluke of my bike!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts