Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah my Shifter came off today. I was going down a nice twisty road ,comin to a corner and go do down shift .....and nothins there!!! uh-oh me thinks.
slowly pull over to the side of the road and proceed to tighten it.

Just a reminder, check your levers and get some lock tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago on my '04. The bolt was still in the lever, but the lever fell completely off the shaft. The bolt fits in a groove on the shaft, so I don't know how it came off unless it was never installed correctly. I tried to simulate the problem once I got home, but with the bolt in the groove, it was impossible for me to remove the lever even with the bolt loosely fitted. Luckly, it happened coming up to a stop sign, not accelerating into traffic. There was no prior warning. Make sure you check this out.

L

·
0 Posts
that is the same shit that happend to be about 2 weeks ago.. i was stuck in first gear untill like 2 miles down before i could be able to pull over!

·
Registered
231 Posts
It happened to me too, just 3 days after the 600 mile service. I would recommened to everyone to check it and use some lock tight on those threads. As much up and down shifting with the SV, if those threads aren't lock tighted its going to come off at the most inopertune time.
Cheers! :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
That happened to me on the 99 between Fresno and Merced--trying to race some storm clouds before my 12-hour shift. Pulled over by CHP; then about 10 minutes later I attempt to downshift as I came up behind a passing semi--no such luck. 65 mph in the left lane--no shift lever. After standing in the rain for a bit (another CHP helped out), I finally just hand-tightened it and hit the hotel at the next exit with him following.

Blue-loctite FTW!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wish I'd seen this thread yesterday. I bought a k3 sv1000s this afternoon and guess what?

The man and I were going to take turns driving back in the cold (there were actually snowflakes in Bham today) and he was getting onto the exit ramp when he realized the shifter was disengaged (the rod had come completely out.) Seller had put drop brackets on; hopefully the original shift rod will work with them. Needless to say, I didn't get my turn on the highway. We got home safely.
I love my husband.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I've got 16.5K miles on my SV and no problem with the shifter coming loose. But, I check it frequently. SV's will shake things loose, so check those fasteners every now and then.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^lol

this has not happened to me, thankful for this thread. but i did notice my shift lever hit something while i was down-shifting yesterday, and so i pulled over at a gas station about a block away and noticed it had back a smig. so reached into my backpack pulled out a 10mm, or was it 8... i think it was 10 and pushed it back and tightened the **** out of it but i thinks i will go buy some locktight now.

thanks again..

·
Registered
712 Posts
+1
happened to me during the fall midsouth sv rally in the middle of some old school town. Luckily there was a place called "Grandpa's thrift store" that had a allen wrench big enough to tighten the plate back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1

least i know im not alone. first night having the bike legal and.....
anyway, bikebandit has two parts numbers for shifter rods. anyone know what the difference is if any before i waste my time getting the wrong one?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
curvy and nekkid...

·
Registered
177 Posts
it's a common problem, it seems. it happened to me as i went to downshift into 1st pulling into my driveway getting home from work one night last summer. i couldn't have been luckier. use a pair of snap ring pliers to take the retaining ring off, clean the threads, put on some blue loctite, use a deep 6pt 17mm socket and tighten it back up. i've put probably 2500 miles on it since then without issue.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
...ya know, if y'all would have monthly nut-n-bolt sessions this wouldn't have this problem....

·
Registered
177 Posts
...ya know, if y'all would have monthly nut-n-bolt sessions this wouldn't have this problem....
i respectfully disagree. i believe in physics. there are things that inherently loosen and other things that shouldn't. ball joints, tie rod ends, etc wear out and loosen. there is no scientific reason that a properly designed bolted joint when torqued and locked properly should loosen. i'm not saying that my mechanical abilities are infallible, but i when i tighten something i trust that it's tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts