Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Vortex rearsets and using a GP pattern the shift rod is no where near long enough. It's probably an inch or 1.5" to make up the distance. Where do you buy custom length rods since I don't know where I'd buy a left handed thread die.

Also, looking down at the shift rod it's tilted to connect to the shift arm and not straight. I assume I can use a spacer but anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I installed Vortex rearsets and using a GP pattern the shift rod is no where near long enough.
My vortex rearsets came with 2 different rods. One for regular shift, one for GP shift. Did you get both?

Also, looking down at the shift rod it's tilted to connect to the shift arm and not straight. I assume I can use a spacer but anybody else have this problem?
So is mine (regular shift). That's just the way it is I guess. It doesn't seem to affect anything.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I installed Vortex rearsets and using a GP pattern the shift rod is no where near long enough. It's probably an inch or 1.5" to make up the distance. Where do you buy custom length rods since I don't know where I'd buy a left handed thread die.

Contact Vortex?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know that probolt-USA sells shift rods in multiple lengths and in colors as a bonus. Just measure and figure out how long you need. I think it's in mm, but not a hard conversion.

As a side note, harbor freight sells a mini metric tape measure (10 ft) that is perfect for setting sag and a number of other bike related tasks like measuring bolt and rod lengths.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I don't know where you're at, but any reasonable sized town will have an engineering supply store that will sell you a left hand die nut, probably straight out of stock :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought these used but it came with one really long shift rod that I figured would fit.

Googling left handed die's brought up some cheap options and since I need 2 of these I might just make my own. Are these always made out of Al or SS? Can you cut threads into SS without a lathe/drill motor?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You sure can, just Google the technique and don't ignore some sort of oil for a cutting lubricant :) Probably the hardest part is remembering to cut the right way :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.