Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the poll is entirely out of curiosity, about a month ago when installing rearsets i figured why not and converted to GP shift. I like it and never see myself going back. Just feels more natural :? So what does everyone have?

For noobs; gp shift is a super easy modification that turns the shift pattern upside down......for example on a standard shift pattern 1st gear is down 2nd through 6 is up, so you are lifting your toe to upshift and tapping downward to downshift------by rotating the shift arm linkage doodad 180 degrees -----the pattern is reversed 1st is upward with your toe 2-6 downward. So to upshift you tap down and to downshift you lift up..... :wink:

·
Registered
228 Posts
After I get the bandit put back together (been doing some paint and coating on various parts) I'm going to give this a shot. I would do it on the wifes bike but she is still in the middle of the learing process and I don't want to switch stuff around on her now.

I also like this because I get nervous about having my toe under the shifter getting ready for an upshift coming out of a corner on the bandit.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
there's this nice increasing radius left hander near my house that I hit sometines 2 or 3 times a day, with regular shifting I can't get my fat toes under the shifter,

·
Registered
737 Posts
Like you said, weirdly enough, it just feels much more natural.

That will probably the first "mod" I do on any bike I get from now on.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm gunna try this... it seems more logical. I guess the reason most bikes are 1 down : 5 up is it's just easier to remember for the beginner. Up shift is up and downshift is down.

I don't forsee any real negative trade offs. If anyone knows of some let me know.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I had my track set up for GP style at the last track I did. I switched it back after one session...just coudln't get used to it. There was one turn at Summit that I would have liked to have it for though.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm going to keep it standard, because it's easier to kick down through the gears in an emergancy stop.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I use either pattern without issue. It's purely a rider preference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
zoltan said:
I'm going to keep it standard, because it's easier to kick down through the gears in an emergancy stop.
In a real "Emergency" stop, the last thing I am worried about is kicking down through the gears.

·
Registered
597 Posts
GP and I like it here. It's just more natural to me.

Well, that and it keeps other people off my bike.
Man you said it! I wanna change my vote from

"standard pattern, but interested "

to

"I have it set up for GP and like it/love it"

Feels alot more natural on Accel. And everone loves being different! 8)

Edit : BTW relearing has been E.Z.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
treoff said:
GP and I like it here. It's just more natural to me.

Well, that and it keeps other people off my bike.
Man you said it! I wanna change my vote from

"standard pattern, but interested "

to

"I have it set up for GP and like it/love it"

Feels alot more natural on Accel. And everone loves being different! 8)

Edit : BTW relearing has been E.Z.
:p glad you like it, maybe i'll do this poll again in a couple months to track any changes :wink: 10 ( now 11 ) riders out 45 is more than i was expecting. Interesting indeed.
GP ROCKS, GP ROCKS

S

·
0 Posts
I have the gp pattern and love it. At first it was a little unatural feeling because of riding bikes with a standard pattern most of my life. Once you get use to the shift pattern it is much better. My toes don't drag on fast corners as often as they did before.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Examine the shifting linkage to understand how it works.

Step 1 : Unscrew (and remove) the 10mm bolt of the shifting collar on the shift shaft. Make note of where the shift petal is set.

Step 2 : Pull the collar of the splines

Step 3 : Rotate the collar clock ways until the pedal is back where it was but the collar is upside-down. My collar is a couple degrees short of vertical. Make sure when pedal is pushed up the shaft moves clock ways(Gp Shift) instead of Counter-clock ways (Standard).

Step 4 : Put the screw back in the collar and tighten. (Not too tight or it will snap and you will be as dumb as I was a year ago :oops: )

Step 5 : If needed adjust pedal height.

Step 6 : Put a reminder next to the tack on your dash as a constant reminder!

Step 7 : Have fun learning to shift all over again. :wink: J/K it's not that bad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All4Grog, I was thinking about switching to gp shift style, but I was wondering if there was any special mod required to do that. I am going to be purchasing a quickshift for my sv1000s, and it asks standard shift, or gp. I was wondering if I need to purchase anything else, or you just use your stock doodad, and change it 180 degrees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts