Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen this new gimick from Shell? Nitrogen-enriched fuel? They are claiming that it has a cleaning effect and will get rid of carbon deposits left by 'inferior fuels'.

Are we serious?

Isn't this kind of like something you would see at 2:30am on an infomercial?

·
Registered
108 Posts
the air you breathe is composed of 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, and the last 1% is minor stuff. stoichiometric afr is 14.7 time the mass of air to fuel. do the math, that's a lot of nitrogen. i don't know much about nitrogen and it's properties but from what i understand, this is sounds like another gimmick. any other thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess maybe they are hoping that most people don't have any clue that we don't breathe 100% oxygen... and that altitude/deep sea sickness is because people get scared of being that high up or that far under water. We live in a nation of idiots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This furthers my point...

From Yahoo answers:

"What is nitrogen enriched fuel?

I saw this nitrogen enriched sign at a shell gas station. Is nitrogen enriched gasoline okay for my engine? I drive a 2001 pt cruiser with 85,000 miles. My engine calls for regular unleaded, will this nitrogen enriched fuel work in my car?"

·
Registered
920 Posts
I commented on the Shell ad in the "Cleaning Valves" thread.

Even if it did clean the stem side of the intake valves like is displayed in their (exaggerated) side by side comparison from the commercial, the alleged benefits are left up to the viewer's imagination.

You can disassemble your engine, clean and polish the valves on the wire wheel of a bench grinder, then reassemble your engine......and nothing will have changed performance or efficiency-wise.

Nothing.

;)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Enriching with nitrogen reduces the amount of detergents necessary to keep engines clean. It's a better way to control carbon buildup.

All "name brand" gasolines have and have had detergents in the mix for years and years to help keep valves and especially combustion chambers cleaner. Note that Chevron's adds say that no gasoline has more detergents. Not that no gasoline has good detergents or the same level of detergents, etc. In terms of engine cleaning they're all about the same.

·
Registered
690 Posts
shenanigans is such a bad word. Who says shenanigans anyway? I think the word shenanigans, is rediculous. shenanigans should be removed from out dictionary. what idiot thinks of a word spelled like s h e n a n i g a n s. shenanigans this....did you know I have nothing to do then bust the guys balls above me because im sitting in class bored. shenanigans shenanigans shenanigans Tada. Ill bend over now for the pistol whipping!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Enriching with nitrogen reduces the amount of detergents necessary to keep engines clean. It's a better way to control carbon buildup.

All "name brand" gasolines have and have had detergents in the mix for years and years to help keep valves and especially combustion chambers cleaner. Note that Chevron's adds say that no gasoline has more detergents. Not that no gasoline has good detergents or the same level of detergents, etc. In terms of engine cleaning they're all about the same.
Isn't there a gov mandates level of minimum detergent? I think even the cheap gas has detergents.

Nitrogen is almost non-reactive in it's pure diatomic form. I can't see that doing anything. So the question is what nitrogen compound are they using?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Um, well, one of the components in synthetic fertilizer is nitrogen. How do they get it to stay there?

Protein has a lot of nitrogen in it. How does it stay there?

The way it's done is to attach it to other atoms or molecules. I doubt they're infusing the liquid with N2.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Um, well, one of the components in synthetic fertilizer is nitrogen. How do they get it to stay there?

Protein has a lot of nitrogen in it. How does it stay there?

The way it's done is to attach it to other atoms or molecules. I doubt they're infusing the liquid with N2.
Hey man, it was an honest question. Like, I really wanted to know how to get it to stay there. I was thinking like carbonated soda, but that really only works because it is stuck in a sealed container. Chemistry: never my forte!
ac

1 - 20 of 61 Posts