Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here some pics of my stock 03 seat shaved.  Very easy to do.  I used red RTV to fill in the gouges.  It's a little lumpy in some places but hardly noticeable - should have been more careful.  I like this seat better than the gel seat that was on it.  Bike turns in a lot easier, less pressure on the wrists (more upright seating), lowered wind resistance and a lot more confidence inspiring.  At 5'11", I did have to remove my rear set plates to give my legs more room. 

·
Registered
398 Posts
I see you've discovered why its usually reccomended to shave from the bottom. Prevents the lumpy issue. Good job though.
:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VeeRoost said:
looks great! any special tools needed? i'm thinking of doing the same. thanks.
gotalf said:
how did you do it? btw your bike looks very good!
Thanks.  Marked the seat foam with the shape I was after.  Used a serated kitchen knife to slowly saw the foam off (a little at a time) until the desired shape was achieved.  Used the edge of the blade to rake accross the seat to take down the high spots.  Used 60 grit sand paper for final shaping.  Reattached cover with a Sears heavy duty stapler.

G

·
I've been wanting to do this as well, but nervous about jacking it all up. Any other little snags you ran into to be aware of?

I may try to use a heat gun to smooth it out. Works great for plastics - gotta be super careful with foam.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toddpnewton said:
Any other little snags you ran into to be aware of?
Even though I used a heavy duty stapler, the flat tip staples didn't go all the way in.  Had to push them in the rest of the way with a screwdriver.  Using staples with a pointed tip would probably work better.  Otherwise, just take your time, the slower you go the less gouging/tearing of the foam occurs. 

·
Registered
20 Posts
That looks great!

Good job. I friggin' hate my stock seat, it's gotta be the most ridiculously shaped MC seat EVAR!

I might have to give that a shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ls14ever said:
I see you've discovered why its usually reccomended to shave from the bottom. Prevents the lumpy issue. Good job though.
:D
Shave from the bottom? Isn't the foam affixed to the pan? If so, wouldn't that tear like crazy when removing it? Also, shaving form the bottom ain't going to do jack to remove the two "ridges" which are IMHO, the main reason why the seat is so uncomfortable.

But then again, what do I know...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks man, looks great...great info and pics.

Were there many staples underside you had to replace? I've heard with some bikes you need an air stapler to drive in the staples. Sounds like this is not the case:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I got rid of the stock foam completely and installed 1" high density automotive seat foam. It's lower and it's comfortable for all-day rides. Plus I still have the stock foam (although I have no use for it).

3/8" staples and a good staple gun is all you need to reinstall the cover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
avc8130 said:
How is it for comfort with so much less foam?
It 's more comfortable than my gel seat - so I sold it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Howdy all,

I just did this modification after reading these posts. Results were great!!! Bike turns in MUCH MORE EASILY, almost scraped my pegs for the first time (I've only had my sv a month now).

To answer others concerns addressed in these posts:

(1) Removing the cover and stock foam:

Foam came off in one piece, but be gentle in removing from plastic base. There is a mild adhesive attaching foam to base. Be cautious at crotch area and pry/work-off gently as this is where foam is most thin and adhesive seems most tacky.

(2) Where to shave:

Bottom of foam is usual spot most of these surgeries are done, as andygauer suggests. I used a serated steak knife because it was shorter than serated bread knife. I traced area to be shaved and did a little at a time. I kept replacing the cover and putting seat on bike to check if I liked the feel.

(3) Reattaching the cover:

I tried both 3/8 staples and 1/4. I chose the 1/4 because of the potention protrusion into the foam concerned me. I had to use a hammer to push the staples in all the way. I used the flat side of a steel chisel held against the staple and hammered on top of the chisel. I found using a hammer directly against the staple caused them to bend. Also was hard to hammer straight into the curves and crevices where the staples were.

This is worth the time and effort imho.

Turning in and lean were also majorly enhanced by adjusting the front fork preload adjuster so that less of the adjustor stuck above the triple tree.

This is a mod that others have suggested. As they have recommended the right way is to raise the forks 5-10 mm above the triple tree, I'll be doing that this winter. One has to be careful that the tire won't scrape the fender in a bump, if that adjustor is turned too far down.

After shaving the seat and turning down the front preload adjustor, it was like riding a different bike. She just dove into turns.

Let me know of questions or suggestions, thanks sbg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts