Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2001 SVS, and am installing race bodywork. I am having a bit of a fit with the tail. Using the stock subframe, how much do I have to cut off to get it to fit? Everything I have is used, so no instructions included. I dutifully searched the web and the forum for help, nothing is out there. Sharkskinz has a vague install pic regarding the gen 2 seat, nothing (obvious) for gen 1. Do I have to relocate the reg/rec? Brake reservoir? Relocating the CDI is a no-brainer, but it's the sticky-outy bits that I'm having trouble with. Hacking off the grab rails appears obvious, but I want to make sure before I go too crazy with the hack saw and dremel.

Anyone have pics of their subframe without the tail installed? Advice? Anything is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is your tail made for a 1st gen? I don't have any experience w/ a sharskinz SV tail, but I would expect it to fit pretty closely....at least compared to the ZX6R tail I put in my 1st gen.

I would suggest pulling the stock tail off (6 bolts, I believe) and test-fitting the sharskinz on there. It'll be pretty obvious how much modification is needed. I can provide pics of the bare subframe and the mounting points I fabbed up, if needed. I just used Al bar to make little brackets mounted to the subframe.

I cut the grab rails off and relocated the part w/ the cooling fins...not sure if that's the reg/rec or CDI?!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started whacking bits off last night, but the extent of removals is driving this question. Grab rails have to go (as you noted) but I'm not sure if the Reg Rec (finned thing) needs to be relocated. Lots of bits have to get shuffled and I want to make sure I don't go too far on one item and lose some functionality. The undertail fender, for example, I can start cutting until it fits, but I want it to remain as sealed as possible.

I guess I'll just go for it and see where it leads me. I can always weld the little bobbins back on as needed. Bolt on brackets are always easiest, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I figgered it out. Rails have to come off, then install the tail from the right to the left (over the rear brake reservoir and reg/rec). You do have to trim the undertail/fender flush with the end of the subframe, but the tail section fits right over all of the other brackets. You could conceivably trim the return flange on the bottom of the tail section around the rails, if you felt so inclined.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the installed tail. I hate taking pictures during the job, so this is all after I was complete.

Here's what I cut off of the undertail (the rear fender section with tail light).

Here's the stubs of the grab rails.

Here's the stubs viewed with the tail piece installed. Probably could have lightly trimmed the tail section around the rails, but too late now.

I would apologize for the cell phone quality of the pics, but I don't know anyone who takes pictures of their "works in progress" with a normal camera. If I should post the installation procedure pics, just let me know. you have to install the tail from the right side, then flex it up an over the left hand bits. Careful to watch your fingers on the little brackets, they will bite you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, gratuitous pic of the "ready to build brackets" bodywork. The best part was forming and fitting an old SRAD windscreen to the Sharkskinz bodywork. No way am I shelling out any more cash on this bucket. Well, except to get more aluminum flat bar to replenish my supply after prepping two race bikes over the winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts