Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My question is why the hell were they test riding it? That's the first, and one of the biggest red flags.
I am actually surprised so many people asked that. I would expect a short test ride would be in order to confirm there were no issues after any work is done. I know they are just tires but I would want to test it just to make sure before I signed off on any work.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
A buddy of mine does most of the work on my bike(aside from oil changes). He'll always take it for a spin down the block. I don't mind. Even if its for tires.

Shop wrecks your bike, they have insurance. If the frame is dented, it's totalled. I think it's more of a liability for them letting you ride with a dented frame.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
First that shop is where I live, second it is on the local sites, third some shops like to "ride" the film of the tires. People have gone down due to the oily film that is on there from the factory. But if a shop was working on my bike no matter how old it is(this was a 99 R1)they would have to replace it with something as nice or better. Let's face it if he takes it to court the shop is gonna pay!

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
i live where several people told him the frame is junk if it has a dent in it, but buy it back and make a track bike out of it. i know im from WV, but me thinks that a track bike would be under more stress then a reg street bike.

and about the test ride, why wouldn't they? every auto garage i have worked at requires that a vehicle is test driven after a tire replacement, so why would a motorcycle be any different?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
and about the test ride, why wouldn't they? every auto garage i have worked at requires that a vehicle is test driven after a tire replacement, so why would a motorcycle be any different?
One motorcycle store, in CA, I bought a bike from would not let me test ride the bike because of liability issues
but I never hand an issue test driving a car so there might be a difference somewhere.

No bike shop I ever used, at least to my knowledge, did a test ride with one of my bikes.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
if the op brought them the bike, they had to remove and replace both wheels and the brake calipers to change tires. that warrants a test ride. they should go through their ins. for repairs, and with a damaged frame that's a "total". but the op has sentimental issues with the bike. looks like nobody's going to be completely satisfied with any outcome here, so i'd recommend the op holding out for a new bike as being the best deal here.

(not that the r1 guy is going to be reading this girly bike forum, just sayin'.)

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
First that shop is where I live, second it is on the local sites, third some shops like to "ride" the film of the tires. People have gone down due to the oily film that is on there from the factory. But if a shop was working on my bike no matter how old it is(this was a 99 R1)they would have to replace it with something as nice or better. Let's face it if he takes it to court the shop is gonna pay!
It's been proven time and again that no modern tire maker still uses mold release or any other "oily film" on their tires anymore. All shipped tires are good to ride on immediately, and very few street tires need scrubbing in or need a heat cycle for proper grip. Hell, most of us with supersport tires don't even have the skill to get a real heat cycle into a tire with side to side riding (lateral acceleration is the trick).

Contrary to Dave's much more vast experience than mine, I've never seen an automotive or bike shop that do a test drive after a tire change.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I've never seen an automotive or bike shop that do a test drive after a tire change.
Been riding and driving since 1976 and never seen or heard of a test ride/drive after a tire change.

Maybe because most of it was in the land down under not the land of the law suit but never seen it here either.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
It's been proven time and again that no modern tire maker still uses mold release or any other "oily film" on their tires anymore. All shipped tires are good to ride on immediately, and very few street tires need scrubbing in or need a heat cycle for proper grip. Hell, most of us with supersport tires don't even have the skill to get a real heat cycle into a tire with side to side riding (lateral acceleration is the trick).

Contrary to Dave's much more vast experience than mine, I've never seen an automotive or bike shop that do a test drive after a tire change.
I've changed over a dozen tires on my SV and have never had an issue with the dreaded (and maybe fictional) mold release. Seems like the tech wanted a joy ride to me.

I've never had a shop test ride my car after I bought new tires, either.

[Reminds me of a story I heard where a guy took his nearly new Porsche in for service. He came to pick it up and he saw some guys running a truck up on a board that was squishing water out of his seats. Seems the tech had taken the car out for a joy ride, spun out and landed in a ditch full of water. The car was submerged past the seats. The owner sued the dealership and got a new car.]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts