Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

shade on your seat???

3K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  MBIKEN 
#1 ·
does any one have or use something to keep the sun from cooking their bike. i have a gel seat and i could fry eggs on it after work. no room to carry a full cover all the time. what are you guys doing

#3 ·
Might want to consider a sheepskin pad. It'll keep your seat cool and make it more comfortable, and it's easy to put on and take off. Here's one brand: Alaska Leather. I had one on my bike for a while, but the dog chewed it up when I had it off for a bit. Must have had some sort of rawhide appeal!

Anyway, I think it's a great product. If puppy hadn't eaten mine, I'd still be rockin' it. Here's the little stinker:

#9 ·
i have worn my overpants over dockers and after putting abag of ice on the seat for 10 minutes and still cooked my ass. thought i smelled ham cooking. gel is comfy but i hate it

i will have a pic tonight or tomorrow. something just covering the driver seat.

#10 ·
I just had my stock seat covered with a regular ole fabric from the fabric store and its surprising how cool my seat is with just cloth!

I still have to weatherproof it but yeah.

A cloth would work just as well I assume :)

that cover thing is pretty nifty!

#13 ·
Yep, with the gel seat, it's definitely a matter of prevention and not cooling it down afterwards since the gel retains so much heat.

This is more expensive than previous solutions, and I don't even know how well it works yet:

http://www.kwikover.com/

My co-worker just got one, so if anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it works in a few days...(it hasn't been that sunny in SoCal lately...this climate change stuff sucks).

#18 ·
I use this...
http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/covers/cover_max/sportbike_motorcycle_half_cover.html
It's not as cool as the kawi-cover, but serves similar purpose. I've got size L and fits my naked bike quite well. I thought it'd be too big, but with my barend mirrors, it requires a bit more space up front anyhow.

It also packs pretty small. For visualization, you could pack it into a regular sized kleenex box, and it will still have space to smash it down for increased compaction (kleenex box was the first thing I saw on my desk ;D)

As for Gel-seat protection, will it get hot enough to still "melt" the gel inside?

#22 ·
Good ole t-shirt that was destined for the shop rag bin.

When I park it at work it's in the sun so I slap a t-shirt over the seat and tuck the ends between the seat and the bike. Works great. Toss it in my tail bag when it's time to leave.

I have forgot my t-shirt at home about 5 or 6 times and that gel seat is hot for a good 15 miles.

#28 ·
the SV puts out more shade than the twigs they got planted in the lot. got kicked off the sidewalk. myself and some other riders have talked about putting a canopy over a couple spots through the summer but they won't let us block them off. 2 spots for 6 bikes. so now we all park in seperate spaces and won't share with each other. F em!!! k all better now

#33 ·
as promised

made from a see perforated window shade material, strap with buckle (dont like), two bungees (looking for just the right stretchy, non paint rubbing hooky thing). i'm going to park it out in the sun if it ever stops effen raining.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

i will see if i can improve on it over the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.