Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one have or use something to keep the sun from cooking their bike. i have a gel seat and i could fry eggs on it after work. no room to carry a full cover all the time. what are you guys doing

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Might want to consider a sheepskin pad. It'll keep your seat cool and make it more comfortable, and it's easy to put on and take off. Here's one brand: Alaska Leather. I had one on my bike for a while, but the dog chewed it up when I had it off for a bit. Must have had some sort of rawhide appeal!

Anyway, I think it's a great product. If puppy hadn't eaten mine, I'd still be rockin' it. Here's the little stinker:

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
A guy at work has a nice HD Electra Glide. He uses a Cycle Shade I believe. I keep meaning to look for a similar product for the SV, might be able to make something that would fit under the seat or in a pocket.

http://cycleshade.com/

Edit: actually their standard cycle shade might work .. but it's $40 +s/h. Here it is on a Strom

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
If you have thicker pants you won't even feel it.

But if you have a small towel (white to reflect the sun), just put it over the seat and in a few minutes it'll have cooled down a lot.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have thicker pants you won't even feel it.

But if you have a small towel (white to reflect the sun), just put it over the seat and in a few minutes it'll have cooled down a lot.
i have worn my overpants over dockers and after putting abag of ice on the seat for 10 minutes and still cooked my ass. thought i smelled ham cooking. gel is comfy but i hate it

i will have a pic tonight or tomorrow. something just covering the driver seat.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I just had my stock seat covered with a regular ole fabric from the fabric store and its surprising how cool my seat is with just cloth!

I still have to weatherproof it but yeah.

A cloth would work just as well I assume :)

that cover thing is pretty nifty!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
i have worn my overpants over dockers and after putting abag of ice on the seat for 10 minutes and still cooked my ass. thought i smelled ham cooking. gel is comfy but i hate it

i will have a pic tonight or tomorrow. something just covering the driver seat.
Oh, you have a gel seat. That's another reason why I'd never have a gel seat, they're like heatsinks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, with the gel seat, it's definitely a matter of prevention and not cooling it down afterwards since the gel retains so much heat.

This is more expensive than previous solutions, and I don't even know how well it works yet:

http://www.kwikover.com/

My co-worker just got one, so if anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it works in a few days...(it hasn't been that sunny in SoCal lately...this climate change stuff sucks).

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Either one of those might be worth the money if for no other reason than to keep the average :tard: from sitting on your bike uninvited.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I use this...
http://www.newenoughhp.com/accessories/covers/cover_max/sportbike_motorcycle_half_cover.html
It's not as cool as the kawi-cover, but serves similar purpose. I've got size L and fits my naked bike quite well. I thought it'd be too big, but with my barend mirrors, it requires a bit more space up front anyhow.

It also packs pretty small. For visualization, you could pack it into a regular sized kleenex box, and it will still have space to smash it down for increased compaction (kleenex box was the first thing I saw on my desk ;D)

As for Gel-seat protection, will it get hot enough to still "melt" the gel inside?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts