Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was at CMP last weekend. Coming off Pirellis going to Dunlop, 211 US front/ 209 UK rear. Had huge issues with setup for the Dunlops. Was hoping someone here was on the same tires and could tell me their settings for suspension and geometry. What I ended up with after a day was 4.5 turns of preload on the Penske with a 450lb spring (i am 150 without gear), shortened it all the way although I honestly dont know the total length. Forks pulled up 10mm, 4 turns on racetech emulators, 15 weight oil, .85 springs. I have a 500lb spring that I was planning on putting on for the next time out. Preload in the shock made the most improvement so I am assuming the stiffer tires are sending too much energy into the suspension with the softer settings for the Pirellis. My biggest problem was the front end sawing under acceleration. The rear felt the same until we lowered and added more preload, still a little there but improved.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Settings for what, suspension? tire pressue?

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Do it. You are switch between two completely carcass stiffness.

or put on stones. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main reason for the switch is that dunlop is the only company that has a 160 race dot that also pays contingency. But I guess contingency is no good if I can't ride the **** thing. I know they after very different tires but the effect on the bike is much more significant than I thought it would be. First couple sessions out I thought I was going to crash in every corner. Tires seemed to be gripping but the chassis was all over the place. We started to go in the right direction by the end of the day but I had lost all confidence by then. The biggest problem I was having was the bike would sway whenever I got on the gas without being upright. It was to the point where I only rode 50 miles the while day and usually when coaching I'll ride 40 minuets every hour.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got a chance to check out what settings i came home with. rear end has 0 free sag and almost no rider sag. sitting on it feels like a stiff liter bike. why would this make the bike feel more ridable? seems like it shouldnt work with a soft chassis bike like the sv.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Pretty good Dunlop following here in the CRA, split about 50/50 Dunlop / Bridgestone. Last year there were some Michelins because they paid well but I'm not aware of anyone still using those this year.

Although the top 8 or so experts are all on Bridgestone.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Continental has a DOT and pays contigency. They should be similar to the Pirelli in terms of feel (not in grip). Great tire for AM paced people, not so much for the fast Experts. The grip just isn't there (from what I hear).

·
Registered
53 Posts
what pressures are you running? I switched to dunlops this year for the same reason as you and couldn't be happier (211gp front, 209gp rear). 18 wins so far this season in the CMRA.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks but i have that paper also. I tried different pressures all day and pressure alone would not cause what I was experiencing. And the tires actually wore great.

Went over the bike today and I think I found my problem. The shock was at about 330mm, guess thats what I get for not researching and taking measurements beforehand. Set to 343 now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks but i have that paper also. I tried different pressures all day and pressure alone would not cause what I was experiencing. And the tires actually wore great.

Went over the bike today and I think I found my problem. The shock was at about 330mm, guess thats what I get for not researching and taking measurements beforehand. Set to 343 now.
If you're still running 21psi in the rear, I bet you still have problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah I'm going to be running the recommended pressures next time out since I have a new baseline for everything else. Was just saying that the pressure alone would not cause the problems I was having.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts