Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed the caps for the four screws an allen wrench would go into, however, i cannot remove these!!! I've stripped one allen wrench, and the other 6mm is tearing into the screw, how do i take these out???

Working on the bike as we speak...

-thanks!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The allen type fasteners are notorious for stripping out when using just brute torque. An impact wrench works best for removing fasteners without damaging them. Several small impacts a second break the bolt loose without subjecting the tool or bolt to a large amount of torsional force.

I have both pneumatic and cordless electric. I use the cordless for almost everything on the bike. It's a Dewalt 12v 3/8 drive. It has the power to remove tough bolts, but not enough to worry about breaking things when you are putting them back together. Combined with a quality set of long and short allen sockets and a few metric impact sockets, working on the bike is a lot easier and more enjoyable.

If you are on a budget, you can buy one of the manual impacts that you hit with a hammer to use just on the stubborn fasteners. Swinging a hammer around my bike would make me a bit nervous though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93481

·
Registered
40 Posts
Either way you'll be needing new allen bolts so...
Not sure which allen bolts you're talking about but if the sides are exposed try using vice grips on the sides, if they're recessed and you can't then stick in an allen key, slam the end with a hammer a few times to embed it into the bolt and then turn it, trying to keep it in the head of the bolt. You'll need new bolts and possibly a new allen key too...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay i got them loose only stripped one, but it isnt as bad as i thought. When i installed the newer handlebar, i tightend it to my feel, is there much chance of the handlebar sliding if its "feel" tightend?

There was some kind of spacer underneath the allen bolts which makes a cracking noise, but once its loose, it comes right out.

Also, there is a clicking noise when i turn on my bike, the brakes work, the clutch works, throttle as well.

Though how should i adjust the clutch cable? It seems to let the clutch out at about halfway or 5/8 of the way pressed in. Does that seem correct?

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure what your "feel" is, but you should tighten it finger-tight with an allen key (not a ratchet), and use blue threadlocker like this stuff: http://www.performanceonline.com/store/image.php?productid=18021.

The clutch should have 10-15 mm of free play.

okay i got them loose only stripped one, but it isnt as bad as i thought. When i installed the newer handlebar, i tightend it to my feel, is there much chance of the handlebar sliding if its "feel" tightend?

There was some kind of spacer underneath the allen bolts which makes a cracking noise, but once its loose, it comes right out.

Also, there is a clicking noise when i turn on my bike, the brakes work, the clutch works, throttle as well.

Though how should i adjust the clutch cable? It seems to let the clutch out at about halfway or 5/8 of the way pressed in. Does that seem correct?

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
that threadlocker, would it be just as a sealant, or to permanently mount the handlebar inplace.
You apply the threadlocker in a strip on the bottom 1/4" of the thread of a bolt to prevent it from loosening over time.
Blue is medium-strength and prevents fasteners from vibrating loose over time.
Red is "permanent strength" and you'd need to use a blowtorch to ever unscrew the bolt again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts