Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Serious buell xb9 city cross lust

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Northwind 
#1 ·
So i sat on a buell city cross at laguna this last sunday and i have to say i really liked it. I've been checking out their site and it just makes me like the bike even more. Call me crazy, but i think i want one!!??!

So i think i'm going to go down to one of the dealers and test one out. Anyone else have a nice lust workup for one of the buells?

btw MotoGP was AWESOME!!!

#7 ·
I rode an 03 XB9R with Jardine can and Race ECU during June Demo days. I loved it, the vibes are not that bad, I had no complaints during a one hour solo ride on my own terms.

Torque was amazing, felt like about 75-80RWHP on the ground. Short usable RPM range for sport riding (3-7 red at 7.5) and 5spd are my biggest complaints.

That said I would love to have one *next* to my SV and other bikes. Wouldn't want it as an only ride.

#8 ·
XB9R owner, only ride. The 9's don't vibrate *as much* as the 12's.

clutchy: OK, your crazy! But hey, if you like it, get it.

coach: You get what you pay for.

eeeeek: Good point about the suspension setup. Oh, and you would be fine if it was your only ride, too.

I, Spacerat: If reliability is at all a factor, then the Buell XB models are definitely contenders.

Ben_JamminVFCC: I saw some of your posts on BadWeb. If the bike ain't for you, that's OK. It is not for everybody...

Northwind: Be sure to post how you liked and/or disliked the Buell after your demo. Make sure you are demoing an XB Buell, and not (for heaven's sake) the Blast or older tuber-model Buell.

sheik*yerbouti: 4K usuable RPMs...sounds about right for most bikes, not just the Buell. 7.5K redline...kind of amazing how much power can be made below that mark, huh?! 5-speed tranny...one way to keep those top speeds down! 5th gear @ 80mph = 4500 RPMs.

#10 ·
Don't kid yourself. My Honda, for example, has a MUCH larger, usable powerband. My SV is about on par. A Buell is what it is: A great handling niche bike with a brutaly simple, torquey engine. Don't make it out to be something it isn't.

I found myself stirring hte gears a lot more on the XB9 than my 954; but, I expected that. I thought the 9 fell flat on it's face rather quickly and the engine performance, short of the arm-jerking off the line performance, was adequate, at best.

Compared to an SV, the XB9 has a better frame, suspension, low end and wheels. Throw $2000 into an SV and it's a pretty tight competition.

Again, the Buell is what it is. Is it cool? Yes. Does it handle exptemely well? Yes. Can it take apart a supersport bike? No.

#11 ·
eeeeek:
Well, I never compared the Buell to a supersport, nor did I imply that a Buell could "take apart" one. I guess a better rider than me on a Buell can best another rider on a supersport in the twisties (and certainly vica-versa). In the area of top-end performance, the Buell does not hold a candle to any of the modern supersports. I guess a top-end performer can be quite fun on the street, but I do like keeping my license! :lol: It's a trade-off: better grunt down low at the expense of the top-end; or better top-end power at the expense of low-end grunt. But there is much more to owning a Buell than just the performance aspect...there would have to be, right?! :?

My reply to you earlier was in reference to your statement: "I wouldn't trust it as an only bike...". I took this to mean you have doubts regarding the reliability of the new Buells. Considering the history of previous Buells, I can understand the conclusion. It seems Buell has vastly improved reliability...to the point where a Buell as an only ride is viable without much concern for durability.

A Honda 954...yeah, I'd enjoy riding one, too!

#14 ·
fdl:

I was throwing out a pre-emptive strike with many of my comments. I've seen the effects of the Kool-Aid ;)

You can have both low end torque and top end HP. Ever ride a Mille? Hell, My Honda pulls good from just over 3,000 rpms.

I don't so much question the reliability as I question the dealer support network. I have over 30,000 miles of Buell riding under my belt and I was never left on the side of the road. I was left with my bike in the shop for weeks at a time, though. More often than not, this was due to parts not being available/obtainable.

#15 ·
eeeeek:
Ah, that's where I have seen your handle before: SacBorg. And the Kool-Aid reference, too! :lol:

Ah, yes, the dreaded dealer support network. It started off good with having all HD dealers supporting Buell. Of course, that seems to have been a *little* forced since now the restriction to support Buells has been dropped, and many HD dealers are dropping Buells like a...like a...dismembered hand or something. But I digress...

#16 ·
fdl3 said:
Northwind: Be sure to post how you liked and/or disliked the Buell after your demo. Make sure you are demoing an XB Buell, and not (for heaven's sake) the Blast or older tuber-model Buell.
I#m not quite that retarded :) Blast was never imported to the UK in any numbers, since we weren't quite stupid enough to buy it. I'll be trying the CityX if possible... But I've not got much time, already seeing a man about a Daytona 650 for an extended solo run, and an RFV400...

#17 ·
Well, that was fun! But I'll not ever be buying one... Too many niggles that'd drive me mad. The mirrors are a joke, absolutely pointless most of the time, the clutch is awful, and the gearbox not significantly better. But the engine's very nice- it's no more powerful than my SV but the power delivery's far more interesting- big shoves and loads of torque. Brakes are absolutely superb and the front end's vey planted and solid.

I didn't like the riding position, and couldn't find a place on the huge sofa-seat that was comfortable for all riding...And every time I braked or accelerated I got pushed around in the saddle. But the handling's great, and very different to anything else I've ridden- weight distribution makes a huge difference, andwhen flipping form leaning one way to the other it seems as if it steers from the middle not the front- if that makes any sense. Strange. Easy to unsettle in bends but it never became a problem.

I'm usually a pretty safe, restrained rider but the Buell just encourages madness- lunging overtakes, late braking, stunts- I kept on wheelying involuntarily because of the rotten clutch, and it always felt like it was on the edge of a wheelie.

The gearbox and clutch just spoiled it for me though-that and the mirrors, since it's important to know if the cops are behind you before you do a stoppie :) The vibes are insane but to my surprise that didn't bother me, and people certainly notice you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.