Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2006 SV650 that I bought in 2009 when I was stationed in California.

I've ridden it quite a bit for the first 7 years of ownership but then I got stationed in Miami and the drivers there were too crazy for me to want to ride my motorcycle, where it sat for a while.

At my next unit, I tried to fire it up, so I got a new battery and changed the oil. It started fine but died after about 50ft, I believe that the fuel went bad and clogged the lines. I tried opening the fuel tank but the lock was seized. The key would turn a small amount but would not disengage the latch.

I tried several different methods to break it free, lots of PB blaster and moderate hits with a soft blow hammer. Nothing helped.

The bike sat even longer.

It's now at a point where it would take more to repair than the bike is worth. The battery is dead. When I connected the jump box the cluster acted erratically and many of the controls didn't indicate such as turn signals or lights.

The chain and tires are shot, seats need to be replaced, mirrors were broken off during transport, and there is rust on various places.

The only major parts that I'm 99% sure are still good are the engine, frame, and wheels.

Is this something that is sellable/is there a market for something like this or should I just take it to a scrap yard?

edit: Bike was sold for $400 to Mad8vskillz' friend.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
I've got a 2006 SV650 that I bought in 2009 when I was stationed in California.

I've ridden it quite a bit for the first 7 years of ownership but then I got stationed in Miami and the drivers there were too crazy for me to want to ride my motorcycle, where it sat for a while.

At my next unit, I tried to fire it up, so I got a new battery and changed the oil. It started fine but died after about 50ft, I believe that the fuel went bad and clogged the lines. I tried opening the fuel tank but the lock was seized. The key would turn a small amount but would not disengage the latch.

I tried several different methods to break it free, lots of PB blaster and moderate hits with a soft blow hammer. Nothing helped.

The bike sat even longer.

It's now at a point where it would take more to repair than the bike is worth. The battery is dead. When I connected the jump box the cluster acted erratically and many of the controls didn't indicate such as turn signals or lights.

The chain and tires are shot, seats need to be replaced, mirrors were broken off during transport, and there is rust on various places.

The only major parts that I'm 99% sure are still good are the engine, frame, and wheels.

Is this something that is sellable/is there a market for something like this or should I just take it to a scrap yard?
Engine, frame, and wheels are definitely worth something. It probably doesn’t need much to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I dunno. I hate to see another SV off the road because the repairs (maintenance, really) are over the value of the bike, but I also understand. I let mine go this summer partly because I wasn't interested in putting the money it deserved into it.

·
very big dumb
10,570 Posts
But if that never happens, Mad8 looses his business model.
it's not my day job, it's just something to mess around with. so while id miss the process.... it wouldnt be the end of the world.
and there's tens of thousands of these bikes so i bet i havent even gotten to 1% of them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts