Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
My worst nightmare happened, engine on my 2003 sv1000n seized. I am on the look out for an engine replacement, and am seeking advice. Are all years interchangeable? My understanding is that 2005 and up have different throttle bodies and ECU, can any confirm or deny this? Anything else to look out for?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!:)
Sorry you're here from such a bad situation...but maybe we can help.
Swapping K5+ motors into your bike can be done, but it'll involve some changing of things. The later engines used two manifold pressure sensors (one on each cylinder) to let the ECU determine the phasing of cycles where your engine has just one and a cam sensor to determine the phasing. This cam sensor needs a trigger on the cam which the later engines don't have....so swapping your cams and covers would be needed or perhaps upgrading the harness and ECU to the later version. Either way, it's doable but some work.
Besides the cams being different from the lack of rear sensor they're higher lift with more duration and the pistons also have higher compression...but not by a whole lot. The TB's are larger by a couple mm's and of course the ECU is 32 bit vs 16 so not interchangeable with two plugs vs one.

Before going too far on this....have you determined WHY the motor locked up? The alternator magnets have been coming off of some engines and when this happens they can jam things up. This is not an ideal situation but getting another rotor and stator is quite a bit less involved than replacing the motor if that would be the case. Please pull the left side cover and see if this is the source of the seizing and you might get lucky. :)

Lastly....you weren't pulling wheelies...were you? These motors do not like being at a high angle and will die from such abuse though they'll normally do some real loud protesting (knocking) before locking up if this was the case. A sudden stoppage without abnormal warning could be the rotor magnets. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard about the magneto issue , but it was definitely an oil issue, no wheelies. Bought the bike off of Craigslist with no service history, turns out the bike was burning a lot of oil, went on a long ride up the coast, heard the knock before it seized up. Kindly thank you for the advice . I landed on purchasing a 2004 motor with about 20k miles... I’ll be checking valve clearances and running a compression test before install . If you have anyother advice for issues to look out for please let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here I am once again....
I’m on the search for an 03-04 sv1000 engine. I’m coming off a very bad experience in which I bought an engine advertised on ebay as “great mechanical condition” upon receiving it, I discovered bent valves. I got my money back after some strong words. Anyway, anyone have any tips for vetting and tracking down a mechanically sound engine. Let me know if anyone has leads or advice.

Best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts