Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1448 Posts

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now Taking Orders . . . . Now Taking Orders . . . . Now Taking Orders . . . . Now Taking Orders . . . .

Yes, DrummerDave is an official entrepreneur . . . not just any business, but I now own my own brand of leathers. Spartan Leathers, www.SpartanLeathers.com.

My business goal is to provide rack and custom fit leathers that rival anything else in the market-place, regardless of price. I cant say I will be able to be 'the best of the best', but I will do my darndest to try. In addition, I will be offering them for less than most quality off-the-rack suits.

What do I offer?
Standard options in all suits include:
1.4mm premium leather
Triple stitched seams, using hidden stitches to help prevent seam failure from abrasion.
Double layered leather in impact areas (Shoulder, Elbow, Knee, and seat). Some suits have triple.
Coats brand Bonded Nylon thread
Your choice of perforation (large, small or none at all) plus external shoulder vents.
Kevlar stretch panels (no cheap stretch cordura)
Removable CE Armor
All metal YKK zips (except waist zipper on 2pc suits and interior and vent pockets
Removable mesh liner w/ 2 interior pockets.
Custom lettering on chest or back, included in the price
Shipping to the US is also included in the price, and shipping to Canada or Europe is only $25!

In addition, if you get my high end suits (currently the Elite and SL-1), you'll get additional comfort options such as a Coolmax liner, even more keprotec, and more stretch leather. You'll also get more protective options such as more double layer leather, more triple stitched seams, and more free logos and lettering (in fact, the SL-1 gets you all the sponsor logos you want as well as custom lettering or logos which is very helpful to racers who often spend hundreds adding these items to their suits.). :dizzy:

I currently have 4 Mens 1pc leather suit designs, 4 mens 2pc designs, and 1 women's suit that comes in a 1pc or 2pc, as well as some jackets w/ their own designs. We can also make Real custom race replica suits, just like your favorite racer if you want. So you have a lot of options. As of January 2012, prices on custom suits range from $799 to $1400.
If you want something truly unique, you can design your own suit, and we can build it for you.

We also offer gloves, back protectors, and replacement knee pucks, all competitively priced.

Our newest gloves rival the best in the business, made with Packer (brand) .8mm Kangaroo construction, with stingray leather in impact areas, titanium knuckles, and TPU finger protectors. Really nice gloves.

Here are a few product pics:

Deposits
My store wont let me do deposits, so basically, it's 100% pay up front.

The cancellation policy will be:
Custom Suits:
No cancellation once the suit has started production. Before that, 100% refund.

For (In stock) Rack Suits or items such as back protectors or gloves:
100% refund, pending the item is still in "as new" condition.

Return policy:
No return on custom suits, unless they were manufactured incorrectly. Manufactured incorrectly does not mean you measured wrong and are upset because the suit doesnt fit. It means there is a problem with the suit. Now, if you measured correctly, and they made the suit wrong, we can discuss that on a case-by-case basis. But be prepared to show me a pic of you measuring yourself (at whatever measurement is the problem), and you may have to send your suit back to me to remeasure.

Returns of rack suits are No problem, so long as they're not damaged, and are in re-saleable condition. Please dont sit on your couch and smoke w/ the suit on if you're going to return it. I dont want that smell in my house, thank you very much. :p

Payment:
Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Cash, Money Order and US Cashier's checks are accepted.

Warranty
3 years to Lifetime depending on which suit you buy. See my site for details.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I'm interested with a few questions. I plan on leathers for the warmer months and fair weather (I have textile for wet and cold) so will there be vents or perforations? Can we pick our own colors? Would you have a 2-piece for a dude?

Finally, can you make this...

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes. Perforated front and back (in non-impact areas). - Original post edited to reflect this.

Can you be the master chief?
Hmmm. . .. Honestly, I could probably design something that would look similar, but made of leather.

For choice of colors, if you order custom, yes.
If you are willing to wait for a while (until I place the next order for rack sizes) I could probably have a rack sized suit made in your choice colors.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Can you be the master chief?
Hmmm. . .. Honestly, I could probably design something that would look similar, but made of leather.
Well, I figured I'd ask since you are calling them "Spartan Leathers."

Would you have a 2-peice for dudes? Anyway, you may have another customer as soon as you get your prices nailed down.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
Will it be available without a speed hump?
How about with no collar?
Can I have my name on the back?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i was wondering if you know how much they will cost in general (rough estimate), that way i know how much i need to save, because i would be interested in buying one also

Edit: and a 2 piece male would be nice

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
are you going to offer stocky short guy sizes?

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about gloves/boots/drinkingsystem?

oo i want THIS IS SPARTA! and 300 on the buttox lol

Gloves will eventually be available.

Boots - I'll leave those to the pros. I havent been impressed w/ the boots I've seen.

Drinking system - like having a zippered hump you can put a camelbak in?
Maybe that can be an upgrade.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll have to look into the Spartan thing some more. If its some old defunct British company I dont care.
But, if anybody knows how to look up that kind of stuff in a definitive way I'd love to know.
Guardian does sound pretty good btw.

Now, as far as everybody wanting suits, you're going to have to wait just a bit for me.
Like I said, I dont even have the samples yet, and I wouldnt dare start selling everyone stuff I've never seen.

In addition to that, I appreciate everyone's support. But while I love the support, I'd prefer you guys not buy my suits just to help me out. If you need leathers great, but If you're planning to get them only because Im selling them, save your money till you actually need them. I dont want to be like that girl who throws all the Pampered Chef and Arbonne and crappy Jewelry parties to get your $$. This is a side business for me, not my livelyhood. My friendship w/ you guys is more important than the money I might get from you buying one of my suits.

All that being said, all this stuff *should* be doable before the rally.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I'll have to look into the Spartan thing some more. If its some old defunct British company I dont care.
But, if anybody knows how to look up that kind of stuff in a definitive way I'd love to know.
I suggest you start here:

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

There is a good FAQ section that explains the basics. You may want to consider hiring a trademark lawyer and/or search firm, rather than DIY. Keep in mind that there are common law and state-registered trademark rights, in addition to federally-registered trademarks. You certainly don't want to have to start over with a different name, or worse, have to destroy a lot of inventory, because you used someone else's name and/or logo.

Also, if the potential website names can be reserved for cheap, grab them all now. IMO, one of the things that is holding Tilt back is the lack of a comprehensive website for all of the information that potential customers are seeking. Requiring that your customers host a Word document, or consult the BARf message boards (or even eBay), to figure out what you're selling, is really lame.

Good luck with your new endeavor.

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as testing goes, as Anthony said, he and his girlfriend will be getting a suit each.

I'll be getting one as will Wendy. Im also doing some track days this year, so Im likely to wreck. Plus, Im running at 50% for wrecking at the SVRally.

Besides us, there is a guy who races who has shown interest in having a suit, and he said he will probably wreck this year.

As far as throwing bags of sand wrapped in my suits out of trucks, well .. . .I might do that if I get a suit that was made wrong that they give me free.

Surely somebody will wreck in them eventually.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The only testing I would like to see is more QC stuff like water/hot/cold checks to make sure the glue is good and a seam pulling test to check that the sewing and nylon is of the right grade.

Leather should be a fairly known quantity based on thickness and grade.

1 - 20 of 1448 Posts