Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd want get a lock for my bike, so I like to know which one you guys recommend...(i've seen some bikes that have a spiral cable attached to their front wheels....Also if i need to lock my rear wheel too....keep in mind that they should be able to fit in the rear seat cargo compartment (i've seen huge freaking chains) Bike is garaged so I just need a lock for when I'm at college or stores, restaurants...etc

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was looking at the options on cyclegear.com and most of them were just typical kevlar or braided steel. I went down to walmart and picked up a 10mm thick kevlar lock for under 20 bucks. 10mm was the thickest cyclegear had on their site. I'm sure it's not the most safe, but SDSU has rails to chain the bike up to so at least it's a deterrent.

·
Registered
896 Posts
the little spiral cable you see is a brake lock reminder/theft deterent. all it is a reminder for you so you dont take off with lock on front brake disc, believe me it happens pretty often =) just get a mc disk lock at most mc shops or even walmart for under 30 bucks with reminder cable and carrying case. maybe look into a simple motorcycle alarm, less then 100 bucks on ebay just for self assurance most are very easy to hook up. Add a fake theft detterent flashing led, simple two wire hookup from radioshack, also get a little cover/half cover or a full cover if you can carry it, dont get a fancy one labeled all over, just some cheap thing to keep prying eyes and sticky fingers away. you can get the half covers cheap on ebay and such, my covercraft half cover fits under my rear seat no prob along with disc lock

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I used to cable lock my bike to my truck. Lock it through the frame. However, if someone wants to steal it, they will, and there's nothing you can do about it. The only options you have, is to make it more difficult (If they see your bike has a lock, and the other one 3 houses down doesn't... guess which one they'll take), and buy insurance.

I would suggest a good quality cable lock, and a cheap alarm system... Gorilla makes a decent one for $90. Then get insurance. IMO, that's all you can do.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
After watching that video a couple years ago about easy bike chains and cable locks are to cut (I tried to find it but failed) I would get good insurance.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a kryptonite lock. It fits in my "trunk" so it's convenient. I only use it when I'm riding somewhere in the city. It supposedly bolt cutter proof, but tell that to the tow guy. luckily, he gave me the opportunity to move it, but I doubt the veractiy of their "boltcutter proof" chain design.

It's big and hefty and intimidating. other than that and full coverage, there's not much I can do.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I have a kryptonite lock. It fits in my "trunk" so it's convenient. I only use it when I'm riding somewhere in the city. It supposedly bolt cutter proof, but tell that to the tow guy. luckily, he gave me the opportunity to move it, but I doubt the veractiy of their "boltcutter proof" chain design.

It's big and hefty and intimidating. other than that and full coverage, there's not much I can do.
Nothing is cutter-proof with a big enough set of croppers...full coverage is the only safe way to go.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know which locks use which mechanisms but lately there have been several methods shown for EASILY picking locks without using lock picking tools. Thieves don't have to cut anything.

I believe Kryptonite locks could be picked by using the tube from a Bic pen. Took about 10 seconds.

Combination and pad locks have been recently shown being picked by using a piece of aluminum from a pop can.

It might be worth searching Google for the lock you want and the word "pick".

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I don't know which locks use which mechanisms but lately there have been several methods shown for EASILY picking locks without using lock picking tools. Thieves don't have to cut anything.

I believe Kryptonite locks could be picked by using the tube from a Bic pen. Took about 10 seconds.
Welcome to 2006 dood! Krypto already swapped out all barrel key locks with straight key looks back then after that vid circled the earth in about 3 days. Since then all disc and cable locks they make come with straight keys. I got my disc lock swapped out for free by mail after that.

Now that I'm working at a different location where I can't park on the sidewalk and I'm not so sure how safe it is there I'm gonna get insurance and upgrage my cable lock for a bigger on for the rear and put the other one on the front with the disc lock. Sure theft insurance works but it still sucks ass when someone steals your stuff and then you've got to go thru the hassle of dealing with insurance and oh yeah you don't get YOUR bike back in the end, unless they find it.

I'd rather make my bike simply less attractive to a thief or add more time and effort that might get them spotted or seen.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I'd rather make my bike simply less attractive to a thief or add more time and effort that might get them spotted or seen.
It's funny to see how most people look down on naked bikes, "rat bikes", and "street fighters" and how much we respect the builds here.

One man's trash is another man's awesome project. :)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Basically, it's a balancing act between risk mitigation and convenience. Am I going to carry my monster-sized kryptonite cable lock when I go to the convenience store? Probably not. I'll just use the disk lock for most situations, along with the full coverage that is always there. I will use the cable when I go anywhere and park it for a while. It's also a good way to lock my helmet and aerostich to the bike, so i don't have to wear/lug them around.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Basically, it's a balancing act between risk mitigation and convenience. Am I going to carry my monster-sized kryptonite cable lock when I go to the convenience store? Probably not. I'll just use the disk lock for most situations, along with the full coverage that is always there.
Funny thing. I actually do always put my chain in the trunk. You're right that we're all willing to take different risks. I haven't put a race tail on that I have sitting in my room just because I want my trunk space. (i'm designing an undertail/subframe cover to do just that, keep trunk space).

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all comments...I got full coverage on it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where did you get your coverage and if you don't mind saying how much did you end up paying.

I have to tell you that I have full coverage on my Aprilia RSV with $500 deductible and it costs me, $2300 a year. The SV is not insured as it is just for the track.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...I got a 01 civic and 02 nissan maxima insured too...I was paying like 75 bucks monthly for liability only....then I added my bike and now i'm paying 112 bucks a month (haven't got the bill yet) for full coverage on the bike with 500 deductable...so it's around 1300 a year for all 3. oh yeah i'm insured with AAA

1 - 20 of 38 Posts