Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So I decided to hop on the vinyl wrap train and haven't been able to really find any vinyl wrapped SV's. I'm about 3/4 of the way done, and decided to add to this forum with my progress.

Yes, this is extremely difficult, and no it's unlikely to come out looking perfect. You absolutely need a friend to help you heat up the material as you stretch it, and it will take hours. Especially the tank. I am regretting getting started on this, as it's taken so much of my time. However, I am getting excited about the final product, and it's a good time killer with 2 feet of snow on the ground. Any questions, let me know. Links to the vinyl I used (5' x 6') , tank grip pads, heat gun, and vinyl kit down below.

Any questions let me know! :eek:ccasion14:
-Cameron

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
/dp/B078S5QMFG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_HLFdEbJ4P2ESJ

/gp/product/B07YYJ4CPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/gp/product/B00XULNZI0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/gp/product/B06XW77WNK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/gp/product/B07GFGFY2L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
oh man, you used 3m... all the gluelines and **** for stretch.... and a metallic/chrome gloss which shows everything.
use avery or vivid it's hella easier.

also, postheat postheat postheat

i found the hardest part to be fenders. because they're not that different than tanks but the angles are much sharper.
the front fairing you pretty much have to do in multiple pieces since there's no way in hell to go into the recesses without it lifting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man, you used 3m... all the gluelines and **** for stretch.... and a metallic/chrome gloss which shows everything.
use avery or vivid it's hella easier.

also, postheat postheat postheat

i found the hardest part to be fenders. because they're not that different than tanks but the angles are much sharper.
the front fairing you pretty much have to do in multiple pieces since there's no way in hell to go into the recesses without it lifting
I think the hardest part of the tank for me was the amount of excess material I had after coming over and down the contour for your legs to fit in. Had to make some unsightly seams (which got covered by the tank pads). Everywhere I looked said use 3M 1080, but I'll try out avery or vivid next time. It hasn't been too difficult to use, just has been my first time ever.

Thanks for the post heating tip! I don't know why most forums don't include that, it makes total sense.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
the way to deal with the extra flaps seems to be to prestretch before laying it down and then use heat to eat up the excess. but 3m doesnt stretch that well and overstretching the shinies results in discoloration

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the way to deal with the extra flaps seems to be to prestretch before laying it down and then use heat to eat up the excess. but 3m doesnt stretch that well and overstretching the shinies results in discoloration
The discoloration was pretty tough to avoid during too much stretching I noticed, but thankfully from more than 3 feet away its hard to notice. You must have quite the experience vinyl wrapping! I couldn't imagine having skill to pre-stretch and then shrink in spots of excess. I'm sure it's achievable though.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
vivid and avery are easy to work with. 3m is a bitch. and seems to have not bothered with additional research since they came out and instead just keep doing the thing they've been doing (where the others actually tried to make better vinyl)

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I've thought about doing it (OK, I think about doing a lot of stuff, much that never happens, but that's another story) and I think something that might make it easier is to have holding jigs for the different parts. Doing a car not only has the advantage of flatter panels, but also each is a part of nearly 2 tons. You can pull all you want with no worry of it moving.

I think a jig to bolt the tank to, that puts it at a comfortable height and holds it solidly, would make the job much easier. Maybe have a pole welded to a thick plate that gets bolted to the floor, with different upper attachments to hold each part. Sounds like a lot of pre-wrap preparation, but it may be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
I think a jig to bolt the tank to, that puts it at a comfortable height and holds it solidly, would make the job much easier. Maybe have a pole welded to a thick plate that gets bolted to the floor, with different upper attachments to hold each part. Sounds like a lot of pre-wrap preparation, but it may be worth it.
tank you can do 3/4 of it on the bike and then finish the rest off (just watch for dirt). tail fairings and fender not so much

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished wrapping the headlight fairing yesterday. I took a long break from this project because frankly, wrapping sucks. Excited to get this on the bike though and get a final picture later next week hopefully.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Finished wrapping the headlight fairing yesterday. I took a long break from this project because frankly, wrapping sucks. Excited to get this on the bike though and get a final picture later next week hopefully. View attachment 52615
What you have done is really commendable - but I can’t help thinking a bit of paint would have been so much easier :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, everything is together now. It sucked to wrap to say the least. I apologize for the lack of updates, I forgot to post these to here and had them just on facebook. I'll add more pictures later this summer when I can actually ride, still way too snowy in the great white north. Besides adding turn signals and a couple more cosmetic issues I'd like to take care of, she's pretty much all set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts