Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Were you able to install this shock and give it a go? I'm looking for an OEM rear shock for my '03 650s. Thanks!
I also have an 03S and last Nov I put in the shock from a 2012 ZX6R. From memory the length was about 6mm longer than stock, and u need to use the bottom bolt from the ZX6R as the SV one is a little short. As u can see from the pics, u have to cut a section out from the battery box to make it fit. BUT it's nowhere near as bad as it looks, as the reservoir is only 10-15 mm too tall. With a little bit of padding or the OEM battery tray, the YTX12 battery still fits (possibly due to the higher subframe in the 03). Or you could change to YTX9 (shorter and I've run that in another SV with no problems at all)

Attachments

· Registered
31 Posts
I also have an 03S and last Nov I put in the shock from a 2012 ZX6R. From memory the length was about 6mm longer than stock, and u need to use the bottom bolt from the ZX6R as the SV one is a little short. As u can see from the pics, u have to cut a section out from the battery box to make it fit. BUT it's nowhere near as bad as it looks, as the reservoir is only 10-15 mm too tall. With a little bit of padding or the OEM battery tray, the YTX12 battery still fits (possibly due to the higher subframe in the 03). Or you could change to YTX9 (shorter and I've run that in another SV with no problems at all)
Thank you for sharing! I hope the ZX10R shock I ordered fits about the same. The spreadsheet available to us all with compatible OEM shocks says I don't need to trim the battery box, so here's hoping! I'll share how it fits when I get it.

· Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for sharing! I hope the ZX10R shock I ordered fits about the same. The spreadsheet available to us all with compatible OEM shocks says I don't need to trim the battery box, so here's hoping! I'll share how it fits when I get it.
Any update? I am looking for a shock from a newer bike to replace the stock one. Only street riding.

· Registered
2006 SV650
3 Posts
If anyone is interested in an affordable more modern shock option I ended going with a 2018 ZX6R for a couple of hundred. I believe the 2012 to current year ZX6R have all the same shocks. Its 340mm, so 10mm longer than the stock 2nd gen sv650 shock, so the motorcycle trail does change to a more sporty turn in, however a larger front 120/70 tyre can resolve this.

You do need the bottom ZX6R bolt and you have to trim the battery box to remove about 10mm and buy a slimmer battery, however the overall cost still really cheap for the performance. Its almost as good as the Wilbers shock in my GSXS1000 at ¼ of the price. The stock spring rate is perfect for my 75kg weight adjusted to the lowest preload setting, so I imagine it would work for heaver people too.
Automotive tire Hood Light Motor vehicle Blue
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim
Tire Blue Automotive tire Hood Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Material property Automotive wheel system Automotive design

· Registered
163 Posts
fwiw, I just swapped in a (hopefully) low mile ZX14 rear shock,... i'm bigger these days so @ 245+- lb I needed a stiffer spring than the average SV ridin' bear... this plug-n-play shock from a heavier bike seemed suitable for my weight and needs and it was $90 shipped.

popped in easy, had to remove the plastic shield in front of the battery box. 2 rides so far and it is notably better at my weight than the OEM shock, both around town and in the twisties...my riding needs work lol but the platform is getting better by the week ;-).

My oem rr shock has only about 6-800 miles on it as the PO replaced it ( with OEM !?!?!) only that long ago,.. its clean and fresh and works great, but it is just limited for a heavyweight like me.... I just about fell outta my chair when i saw new OEM rear shocks are $ 530 ++ today.. that 's a solid $100 more than he paid in 2019 FFS

· Registered
163 Posts
AAAAnnnnddd I just tripped over a deal i couldn't pass up on a clean Ohlins SU 606 with abt. 4k miles on it (?) pulled off a 2009 SV.

😬 sheeit howdy.

Wood Coil spring Hardwood Metal Auto part
Wood Coil spring Household hardware Gas Auto part

I really wasn't expecting to do this so soon....but $450 seemed like a price worth stepping up for based on what I've seen a quality used rr shock go for lately..

I'm still learning about all this, pretty sure 'ill need to swap out the spring.... spring size: 01096 - 21 / 75 L1013

if the "75" is the N/mm that should be about 428Lb/in ...based on the ZX14 spec of more like 545 lb/in,+- working MUCH better under my weight,. i'm thinking I need more like a '90' (513Lb/In) - 95 (542Lb/In.) vs 75.
Make sense...?

Who's the best place to buy from...? i'll look around for a used one but expect to have to buy new...

Anyone take 'incorrect' springs in exchange/trade + $ I'd assume for new/ proper shock spring? maybe with service..?

THANK YOU.

· Registered
479 Posts
Nice price for a used Ohlins. It always amuses me when my street riding buddies think it’s crazy expensive for shocks at new $300-$500 for the street. My main street bike is a 1979 GS850…. the crowd I ride with.

I have a Penske triple on my SV….. which is over kill for my abilities but wanted one of the best at the time.

· Registered
163 Posts
lol I was also thinkin' PENSKE! or nuthin, and I just saw a dbl w/remote res. off of a gen 2 SV pop up and get sold pretty quickly last week.

When I saw this one pop up the next day & saw that it came off another Gen 2 SV, for a decent price w/ decent mileage (if its not BS..).., I figured F-it.. as much as I too wanted to have " The bestest / top o' da line " .. realistically, I don't have the skillset or desire to go that fast & the need for that much adjustability....:)

After reading up on this shock it seems to land perfectly where I need it to for what im doing on the bike, and then some, and it was at least $150 less than the Penske. which should cover the proper spring easily.

Anyone lookin for a CLEAN AF '11 ZX14 rear shock ? 😉 I've got a perfect one available by the end of the week. . ;-)

Auto part Fashion accessory Event Machine Carmine

Gas Auto part Audio equipment Household hardware Metal

· Registered
57 Posts
AAAAnnnnddd I just tripped over a deal i couldn't pass up on a clean Ohlins SU 606 with abt. 4k miles on it (?) pulled off a 2009 SV.

😬 sheeit howdy.

View attachment 64727 View attachment 64728

I really wasn't expecting to do this so soon....but $450 seemed like a price worth stepping up for based on what I've seen a quality used rr shock go for lately..

I'm still learning about all this, pretty sure 'ill need to swap out the spring.... spring size: 01096 - 21 / 75 L1013

if the "75" is the N/mm that should be about 428Lb/in ...based on the ZX14 spec of more like 545 lb/in,+- working MUCH better under my weight,. i'm thinking I need more like a '90' (513Lb/In) - 95 (542Lb/In.) vs 75.
Make sense...?

Who's the best place to buy from...? i'll look around for a used one but expect to have to buy new...

Anyone take 'incorrect' springs in exchange/trade + $ I'd assume for new/ proper shock spring? maybe with service..?

THANK YOU.
I got the exact same shock, swapped out the spring for a Hyperco one, perfect fit in case you're wondering
Automotive tire Tread Blue and white porcelain Wood Rim

· Registered
163 Posts
Nice!

I was looking into those then I figured out how to read the ohlins spring rate numbers, found a chart with the various sizes, & literally just found a used perfect Ohlins spring if the ZX spring doesn't fit.

The Ohlins came with a 190mm 428 lb/in spring, a bit soft for me....
The next one on the chart, 190mm 485 lb/in Ohlins popped up and for $50 I snapped it up, b4 I realized I can get & would prefer a shorter 170 vs 190mm spring w/the same rate so It won't need 20+mm of preload & a damn compressor to R/R it. I just shot it with some nice metallic Plasti-dip,.. looks great:

Water Automotive tire Tread Plant Tire

I just found the next one on the list in the preferred size, a 170mm - 514Lbin spring off a Ducati Panigale for $55, it's a wee bit under the Penske suggested rate for my current weight but I DO plan on sticking with my resolution and losing 35+- Lbs by end of spring.

I also have the 545+- lb/in spring on the ZX14 shock that looks like it should fit the Ohlins as well. It is also a 170mm spring, if it does fit, it is within 5 lb of the rate prescribed for my current maximum-density-pushing physique all geared up...

I had a dream to run through all of the spring sizes/ rates I now have here to get some understanding of how dialing in the right spring rate feels and works etc, some how chart the improvement...?

..but if I get lazy, I'll prob end up just selling the two Ohlins 190mm springs, esp if the ZX spring fits the Ohlins.. I can lose enough weight to make the 514 lb spring work fosho. 👊 & the ZX spring will work till I do...

🤞🤞

21 - 30 of 30 Posts