Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have been doing a ton of reading on the forum and throughout the internet about the options for rear shock options. Of course, there are already a ton of posts and documentation on this subject dating back to the very early days of this forum and the SV650 platform. However, most of the more popular OEM swap options considered to be an affordable way to gain some adjustability and performance are from pre-2010 bikes.

These older ZX#R, GXSR, etc shocks are getting harder to find in good condition and they are becoming outdated anyways. I am wondering if anyone has found a newer OEM type affordable shock swap from any newer bikes?

Ideally one with a slightly longer eye-to-eye length (Over the stock 330mm)
I weigh about 160-170 without gear so the stock spring rate is probably okay for me as far as I understand but I don't think I should go any lighter
If it matters I have a 2003 SV650S, but I think if it works for one second gen it will work for any (Excluding ABS?)

Anyone have ideas? I will continue to update this post if I discover anything but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

· Registered
70 Posts
I've had all the same questions you mentioned. I looked at a zillion posts on various used shock swaps and even bought a GSXR damper off EBay but decided against using it as I suspected it was likely worn out. New shocks from the "name" companies are all stupid expensive. I don't need race track performance but at 20K miles my stocker is beyond tired. Finally I made the choice to try a YSS item at a delivered price of around $375 which still seem pricey but compared to $650-$950 I can live with it. There is a fair amount of info online about them but precious little of the "yes I use one and it's good, bad, in between" variety so.........Mine arrives in a couple of weeks from England via EBay and I'll post my first impressions shortly thereafter.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the YSS shock which is a lot more than I was looking to spend, unless its really the only option in which case I would probably wait and spend a bit more on a penske. I am also in the middle of a 2005 GSXR front end swap, so I was really looking for a similar OEM part upgrade without going all out aftermarket yet. I do track my bike, but I'm really only at the point where my money is best spent on seat time rather than big upgrades to the bike.

· Registered
398 Posts
The main thing is length. Check the shock length chart for compatibility. Second thing is milage on what ever you end up going with. Depending on how hard you are on the shock it should be serviced every 6k and chances are that an older shock has a ton of miles and has never been serviced. JRI is the best bang for the buck and not much more than getting a ZX6 10 or 14 shock and having to get it serviced as soon as you get it and possibly respringing it for your weight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

· Registered
81 Posts
03-06 ZX6 shocks are ~50 bucks on ebay. You'll need to get it serviced. So call it $250.
03-06 shocks have a ~525 lb/in spring, which might be good or bad depending on how fast you're riding on the track.
At 170, the sag will probably work on track but it'll be a bit rough on the street.

I used one briefly on my '05 track bike (waiting on getting a 1st gen ohlins rebuild) but it was too much spring for my skill level at the time (C group). It would be fine now (fast B group, frustrated getting held up in the corners).

For whatever that's worth.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
03-06 ZX6 shocks are ~50 bucks on ebay. You'll need to get it serviced. So call it $250.
03-06 shocks have a ~525 lb/in spring, which might be good or bad depending on how fast you're riding on the track.
At 170, the sag will probably work on track but it'll be a bit rough on the street.
Yeah there are quite a few options for shocks from around this time, I was mainly looking for newer OEM options since suspension has come so far in the last 10-15 years or so

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update for anyone curious, I believe that the 2015 ZX14R shock is the newest from that bike that will fit on the SV. Going to have a go at installing it sometime in the next week or so as I have time while finishing this semester of school. I'll try to post some pictures and things as I go!

· Registered
398 Posts
I saw this Ohlins on eBay for less then $400 for Gen 1 but will work on Gen 2 with a little added (add usually needed) height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
70 Posts
I received my YSS 456 damper yesterday from a vendor in England. I installed it immediately and just took a nice 70 mile run over my favorite mountain loop. Now, I'm not well versed in modern bike suspension (if my 2004 could be termed modern) but the difference between the 20,000+ mile stocker and the new YSS is very positive. I installed it right out of the box with no adjustments and immediately the bike felt more secure and predictable even at modest speeds in town. On the mountain twisties it felt like a different bike. Lovely, linear turn-in rsponse. Planted would be the descriptor. Bad pavement that unhinged the bike before is not frightening any longer
I don't ride fast these days so if y'all are track day enthusiasts or real racers this likely means nothing but for an average rider who enjoys curvy roads but thinks your stocker needs something the YSS might be worth looking at. At the front I had previously installed .85kg Sonic springs and 15wt. oil to factory specs. Now the bikes handles like I think it should.
The delivered price from England was just under $400. I consider that expensve but compared to new Penske, Ohlins, etc. it sounds pretty good.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I figured I'd register to make this post in case any others are going through the same thing. I have a 2007 naked SV650 at about 21K miles with stock front and rear suspension. I figured I'd upgrade/replace the shitty worn stock rear shock since I'm installing a set of Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 damper rods, new springs, fork seals,and fork oil on the front tomorrow.

I don't race and haven't done any track days yet (although I really want to participate in a few), however I do enjoy commuting and spirited street/canyon riding. I didn't want to drop loads of dosh on a $900 racing shock and didn't want to get some overpriced used up non-serviceable ZX-10R or other old OEM shock that's not even designed for the SV. I ended up going with a new YSS MZ456-330TRL-49 shock for about $330 + shipping from a UK supplier on ebay.

It has plenty of adjustment for my riding skill level and is correctly sprung for my weight. It's missing some fancy racing adjustment features however I'm still excited to be getting a brand new shock designed for this bike for a price that doesn't break my bank. YSS shocks are supposedly fully serviceable as well so that's a plus.

I'm still waiting on the YSS shock to be shipped though so I can't say much about it's performance... yet. I went from riding a stock Ninja 300 to my stock 07 SV650 so I'm excited to experience decent bike suspension for once in my life.

Hope that helps anyone on the fence about what kind of shock to get.

· Registered
70 Posts
I had another run on my new YSS damper. My first impressions are confirmed. It was worth the money.
One thing I didn't mention and it may mean little but the YSS item is really beautifully made and finished. I think they're serious.

· Registered
31 Posts
Update for anyone curious, I believe that the 2015 ZX14R shock is the newest from that bike that will fit on the SV. Going to have a go at installing it sometime in the next week or so as I have time while finishing this semester of school. I'll try to post some pictures and things as I go!
Were you able to install this shock and give it a go? I'm looking for an OEM rear shock for my '03 650s. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts