Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here has had stock seat restuffed to build height into it? i have heard of people adding foam to firm it up and shaving it down to lower it. i got a quote of 150.00 from my local upholstry shop to build up the stock seat about an inch and add some denser foam since i am not happy with the OEM gel seat that i bought. just curious how someone elses turned out.i checked with spencer at motocare but he doesnt raise the seats, just restuffs them and lowers. i think 150.00 is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm curious as to why you want it raised. Are you trying to get more room for your legs or are you not happy with the comfort level of the current padding?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious as to why you want it raised. Are you trying to get more room for your legs or are you not happy with the comfort level of the current padding?

i have long legs, and i like a little taller seating position that the stock seats gives. the
gel seat was ok as far as height. the one thing i did like about it. but its not level, it
slopes down towards the front making me slide towards the tank.its also rounded and not flat. the stocker is not all that uncomfortable compared to the gel IMO, but after an hour and a half or so of riding, so the stock seat starts to feel a little squishy. that being said i can ride about twice as long on the stocker vs. gel seat before i have to stop and rest.The stock seat is also level and has more contact surface for your butt and feels more planted to me.if i raise it a little and put denser foam i think i will get the added height i want
and be able to go longer.and i dont want to shell out the money for a corbin or seargent.

S

·
0 Posts
The Suzuki gel seat will give you about 1/2" of lift. It's a little more comfortable than the stock seat, but not a lot.

Adding foam or other material to your stock seat is proabaly a better option (and cheaper if you do it yourself).

Here's a thread you might want to view:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=80538

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The Suzuki gel seat will give you about 1/2" of lift. It's a little more comfortable than the stock seat, but not a lot.
Uh...he already has the gel seat and doesn't like it :).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, my gel seat is for sale on my local craigs list for 85.00. Had i known i would have just
done this to begin with since its going to wind up costing me what i paid for the gel seat anyways. live and learn.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
A lot of the problems you describe are exactly what Spencer fixes with his seat mod, save adding height to the seat. I think you'd be happier with his seat mod, and then either getting some Buell pegs (which have a 1" drop) or flipping over some SV-Racing-Parts rearset riser plates. Of the two peg options though, I would recommend the Buell pegs first since they're only $25. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Send it to Spencers and he can raise and flatten the seat for you. I would call him first to ensure that he thinks the seat cover will still work.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to spencer (original post), he does not raise seats..seems like a
real cool guy, but he shaves and reshapes using the stock foam.im using my local
upholstry shop, they do bike seats all the time.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
$150 seems a bit steep. If it's an auto upholstery shop they probably have lots of high density foam leftovers that would do the job. They will most probably have to replace the covering, which is a few bucks. Even if they had to cut the foam from new stock there isn't much in materials there, and not much labor time. Offer $100 and see what they say.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually its not just an auto upholstry shop, they do boat seats, awnings, boat
covers, umbrellas, patio furniture ect.ect.But for this area thats not too
bad actually. im not sure if there are other upholstry places in town, there
probably is one or two, but i know these guys do good work and i
know the guy that owns the place so i dont mind paying a little extra
for good quality work. yeah it is a little high, but ill recoup
some of the money if and when my gel seat sells.if i had the
skills and tools id attempt it myself but id rather just get it
done right and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I replaced the foam in my seat myself, & i can tell you this; there's not much extra material on the stock seat cover, soo to raise it you'll have to Re-cover it w/ new material also.
It was pretty easy, i used an electric carving knife to shape the piece of foam i bought at yarn barn, along w/ the piece of seat material i purchased there also.
Total cost of the project including staples for my gun was; $30 (the foam was expensive $22.00)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts