Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been looking at the RaceCapture products:
Link The hardware is software is open-source.

I was thinking an SDS to CAN converter would be interesting and could be made to work with a variety of data loggers.

I do have some experience in embedded electronics and software, mostly from hobby projects. I'm a MechE by training not an EE or SW engineer.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cool. I've been following RaceCapture for a while now. Hardware seems pretty decent- definitely really flexible. If you feel like working on this problem let me know and I can send you a board.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested in contributing but I'm about to kick-off relocating to the left coast. Between moving and finding a new place to live it'll be awhile before I have the space to work on the track bike.

Until then perhaps perhaps I can help out on the decoding side once you have some data.

·
Registered
93 Posts
First, let me just say this project sounds great. Thanks for the work you have put into this and your other SV electronics projects as I fully plan to utilize them on my own bike. In fact, I bought my bike with the intention of a budget track day bike.

My first overlap with your work was that my bike did not have a Suzuki dash so I bought a $30 Koso knock-off and @TeeRiver was kind enough to guide me through making an arduino project to finish off the functions that did not work out of the box (GPI, Temp & Fuel Guage). He also warned me that once I completed my first microcontroller project, I would suddenly find many more places that I could use them........and here I am!

So now I am happy with my fully functional dash but would like to be able to communicate straight with the ECU and potentially alter fuel & timing maps. I've spent a couple hours wandering around hacking, decoding, etc and landed here. I've used plug & play open source solutions for my Ducati & Triumph in the past, but it seems the SV will require some extra work. Have you been able to determine what data can be logged? Have you tried to update maps? Is it possible to flash or at least adjust through this interface? Any details are appreciated as it seems we both have 2005 bikes and most public domain work is for the newer models.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I've done extensive research on the pre-dual spark 2nd gen SV's and I haven't found anyone who has been able to crack the ECU and upload new fuel maps. People have it for the later dual-spark models, but nothing for these.

The most you can get is read-only access to various data channels by reverse engineering the SDS protocol. There is a lot of similarity to the GSXR SDS and Kawasaki KDS protocol, but the key-value pairs for the SV650 seem to be unique. This is something I've started working on, but other things in life keep getting in the way (like 3d printing a custom air box for my race bike).

I've heard from my engine builder that Suzuki is going to be coming out with a new 650cc engine which has a single spark plug per cylinder and which will likely get interest from people like Woolich Racing/etc. If that happens, I'm probably going to end up investigating an ECU/wiring harness swap so I can dump the PCV and hopefully get better access to the data from the ECU in my data logger. Hopefully it's CanBus, but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Just checking in to see if you've made any more progress on this. I've started a similar effort, but am not near as far along.

The goal of my effort is a couple of stages. Mostly feeding data to an android app (RaceChrono) for trackdays. I'm implementing it in stages cause I keep adding scope as I see projects like yours!

1) On-board GPS to replace my Garmin GLO. I've got everything working via serial and am working on the BLE comms & best GPS config

2) QuickShifter. Code is fully working and tested. I'm building the strain sensor and ordering the solid-state relays soon

3) K-line parsing and sending via Bluetooth to RaceChrono

4) Stock cluster data changes. Speed parsed from GPS, turn signal locations used for status lights, I really want to get a GPI in there too... I may end up having to drive my own LCD in the stock cluster though based on TeeRiver's previous LCD diagram

For hardware I'm using the following:
Microprocessor - ESP32 due to built-in bluetooth, multiple serial ports & plenty of I/O.
GPS - GP-808G (uBlox 8030 based). Configurable up 18hz, currently I'm using 10hz but still tweaking configs to improve accuracy
Other - solid state NC relay for quickshift. LM393s for K-line voltage shifts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So oddly enough, I got an email notification for your post as I was in the garage prepping the bike for the 2018 race season. :)

Long story short, I haven't made any progress beyond what is currently available on GitHub: https://github.com/synfinatic/sv650sds

So some of the fields I have a full decode for (gear position for example), some I've got a pretty good idea what they're for but I haven't figured out the math for decoding them into useful values. And a few I'm either not sure what they are (could be junk).

Anyways, if you're interested in helping, let me know and I can send you an debugging board. It uses a Teensy 2.0 to expose the SDS K-Line as a serial interface via USB to your computer. Then you can use the programming language of choice to work out decoding the protocol. It even allows read/writing to the gear position sensor too. I'd sell you a populated board for my cost, you'd just need to add a teensy 2.0.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much more time I'm going to put into this. Reverse engineering binary protocols really isn't much fun and I really need to build a test harness so I'm not doing all the work on my bike which is a PITA.

Anyways, little word of wisdom on GPS: If you want accuracy, read up on the math required to do it well. You'll want some accelerometers if possible to augment the data. Basically, raw GPS really isn't that accurate and isn't particularly useful. It gets useful when you start taking into account things like acceleration/deceleration and lateral G's.

Or put it another way, companies like AIM were able to build accurate track maps using just accelerometers- they didn't even have GPS sensors. Adding GPS improved things, but even then they're still only sampling at 10Hz which really isn't that fast when you consider people in cars/bikes are doing 100+mph on the race track.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
For the GPS, I've successfully enough been using a Garmin GLO which has 10Hz and 2.5m accuracy (WAAS limitation). The module I'm switching to is also WAAS enabled and can provide up to 18Hz.
Programming my own correction and augmentation is far and away beyond my "tweak examples" programming skill level. However, I am looking into what it would take to create my own local RTK basestation which should get me 10cm or less. Unfortunately, the TxDot RTK network is privatized and behind an expensive paywall... As are cellular based solutions I've found.

Once I get my GPS (minus RTK) and quickshifter working, I may take you up on your offer for the breakout board. I've got a software guy (and former racer) who agreed to help me out... I'm hoping he'll be able to make sense of the binary decoding at which point my goal is to release a public SV-SDS library. I do suspect that'll take most of the season though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello synfinatic....very old post but I need some information. the K like that you have mentioned, is it available on the SFV650 2011? I have searched internet but cant seem to find it. I did put it once in dealer mode and I suspect the same connector (with 6 cables) does have the K line as well? is that true? I plan to use your PCB to get the rpm data and display it as a led bar graph.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts