Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stripped screws are a pain in the butt. Anyone change the standard phillips for a allen head on the clamps? what size did you use?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I cut a slot in mine because I stripped the phillips head about the 20th time I took the carbs off ;D
Now I just use a really long flat blade screwdriver.

I only loosen the clamps that hold the carbs onto the intake. I dont take the boots that go to air box off. If you tug on air box it will come off ok, then just put a little oil (usually some in air box) on the boot lips before you try to put it back on... takes a little practice but gets pretty quick. You will have to take filter out and work the lips back onto the box when you put it back on. Still easier IMO. Have done this many many times to several different SV... works fine and no damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that with an allen screw and a ball driver you can get to the head and not have to be inline with the screw to make a good engagement if that makes sense. Easier to take on and off for sure and you can always be sure that you get it good and snug. It looks like it might be a 3.5 x0.6 mm or 3x0.5mm screw.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Doesnt have to be real tight, just snug. Hell I have totally forgotten them before and didnt have a problem until I went to pull the air box off and the carbs came too :p

If you wanna do that so its easier go for it. No reason not to if thats what your asking... its not going to hurt anything :)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
If you use allens you'll probably want to use washers to, the phillips are quite a bit wider than allen.

+1 for a long screwdriver, with that and a little flashlight it's pretty easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts