Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an '05 with only 150 miles on it for $3K. It had been sitting in storage, so it looked (well it is) brand new. It smoked a little from the exhaust so changed the oil, but it's still smoking. Any idea why? The smoke is white. Not a lot of smoke, but enough.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
White is a sign of moisture I believe. Change the gas and ride it to clean the system out.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If it's from moisture, it'll be water vapor, like fog.
Oil smoke can be white. Will smell a little ( or a lot...) oily.
Keep an eye on the oil level, & coolant reservoir level.

Could be, and I hope it is, from condensation in the exhaust system. It may have been started a lot & left to idle, never heating up enough to dry it out.

Let us know.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Purchased an '05 with only 150 miles on it for $3K. It had been sitting in storage, so it looked (well it is) brand new. It smoked a little from the exhaust so changed the oil, but it's still smoking. Any idea why? The smoke is white. Not a lot of smoke, but enough.
WELL?....
Waiting to hear what you've found out....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't get back yet, but I haven't had the chance to ride. Tonight was when I was planning on riding. Last night my buddy pointed out that there was oil that had came out of my exhaust. He said that it's a sign that my rings are bad, and the reason for all the smoke. He also said that they probably went bad because it was sitting so long. I'm still going to swap the gas and ride it tonight, but now I'm wondering how much thats going to cost me to replace the rings if thats what it is. I'll take it to a mechanic to get it looked at on Saturday. I'm new to riding, and this site so I really appreciate the advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Your rings could be stuck, but you shouldn't have to replace them. Just riding will usually break them free on an engine that new. Check your oil level per the owner's manual procedure. If it's overfilled (or if it was laid down, even gently) oil can get into the air box and cause the symptoms you see.

You might even consider running a bit of Sea Foam with the fresh gas.

A bit of advice: If you take it to a mechanic just tell him to check the engine. Don't tell him anything about stuck rings. Some less scrupulous mechanics will "find" whatever faults you tell them about.

Also, gravity bleed the brakes until you get clean fluid out of the calipers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got a good price on the bike, I see. I guess this is evidence that it's not necessarily a good thing that a bike has low miles... or any vehicle... to have too low of miles. I love it when people advertise their bike having less than 1000 miles when it's an 03... and then they get bent out of shape because you won't pay them original sticker price!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
it's just condinsation, and the black fluid[on the floor under the can] may look like oil, but, it's just sooty water!!
ride it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with the others that it's probably just moisture. Unless it's really coming out our has a distinct odor, I wouldn't worry about it. Get it out and ride and it should go away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it out to ride tonight. First stop was to fill up with premium gas. Started to ride and it starting smoking pretty good. The smoke def has a distinct odor. Caught a good whif of it when I turned around on at a dead end street. So I decided to start heading home. That was only after 15 minutes. A few minutes later it started feeling like it was losing power in low gears as if it wanted to shut off. I had it in the garage but the smell of the smoke started coming inside through the cat door (thats how distinct the smell is), so I parked it down by the curb. Well, it's still out there smoking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took it out to ride tonight. First stop was to fill up with premium gas. Started to ride and it starting smoking pretty good. The smoke def has a distinct odor. Caught a good whif of it when I turned around on at a dead end street. So I decided to start heading home. That was only after 15 minutes. A few minutes later it started feeling like it was losing power in low gears as if it wanted to shut off. I had it in the garage but the smell of the smoke started coming inside through the cat door (thats how distinct the smell is), so I parked it down by the curb. Well, it's still out there smoking. Any ideas?
You said it looked brand new, so this is a long shot, but...

I had my street-parked bike tipped one night (or may be early one morning), and so it set on it's left side (kickstand still extended, by the way) until I went to work the next day. A lot of smoke, just like you describe. It took at least a half hour of riding to clear up, but was fine.

Later, during an interval inspection, I found that oil had seeped all the way up into the air filter. Not good, but she made it through...

Long story short, check your air filter, but like I said, a long shot.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
If the bike is burning coolant it will blow white and also have an odd smell...

burning oil is darker and stinks.... burning coolant is sweeter smelling and usually white... check the oil for moisture spooge

How cold does it get where you live?

If the bike was not winterized.. it could have frozen and popped the frost plugs a little... this winter was a lot colder than normal and if the bike was not stored in a heated area it would have needed good coolant to withstand some of the temps this year in the northern states and canada

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't rode it again after last nights smoke session. Today I went out and bought the Seafoam. But the engine is still sputtering when in low gear. And is now turning off when idling. Something is wrong with this bike. My next step is a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Haven't rode it again after last nights smoke session. Today I went out and bought the Seafoam. But the engine is still sputtering when in low gear. And is now turning off when idling. Something is wrong with this bike. My next step is a professional mechanic.

If you know a good one, that's great.

If you don't, why not start a new thread, something like "Anybody know a great mechanic near _______?" (Wherever you live)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Problem #1 ... old gas... 150 miles on a K5. Dude that's the factory fuel. Get that shnit out now!!!!

Problem #2 ... You filled up with premium... How much did it take to fill up? anything less then 4.5 gallons and still no good.

Problem #3 If it has only 150 miles then it needs a good once over before she is road worthy. Change the oil, coolent and bleed the breaks. Bikes are not ment to set.

Problem #4... think positive. Give her a good changin and then do what you can to keep her running. I'm willing to bet if you get it running and keep it running she well be good as new in 30 mins.

Good luck!! DH

·
Registered
644 Posts
It sounds like you've clogged your injectors. This comes from having owned a carborated classic bike. Let the gas sit a couple months and it goes bad. What sits in your carbs/injectors/lines/etc will start to get sticky, dry out, etc. It basically becomes like cholesterol in your arteries. The reason your bike started running WORSE once you put fresh gas in is because most "premium" gas has detergents in it which will break down and loosen that plaque stuck in your lines. That plaque is now getting stuck in your injectors and hence why the bike is having problems running.

My advice to you is to take it to a mechanic (unless you want to do it yourself) and have the injectors cleaned and have ALL of the gas removed. When you get the bike back it should run like new. I dont see any reason why the rings would be stuck. My only concern is that some of the rubber seals would have dried up and cracked.

When you fill up, put regular gas in and not premium. Our bikes are designed to run best on 87.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
When you fill up, put regular gas in and not premium. Our bikes are designed to run best on 87.
My 99 ran best on mid grade... less backfiring and popping...

my 06 pops less on mid too... but it gets better gas mileage on regular.... and it hasn't been doing the gunshot like my 99 did unless I ran mid...

Premium didn't get me any more mileage on my 99 nor any power... haven't tried it on my 06 yet....

but unless it was an exception on the last tank when I was riding the hell out of the bike... I got better mileage on regular with my last tank than mid...

I've not had the bike long enough yet to get a good tracking of fuel mileage... but so far it looks ok on regular.... and I save 5 cents a liter (about 20 cents a gallon)

some SV bikes run better with premium.. some with regular.. it just depends on how the bike is tuned at the time...

It was just weird how my 99 would be firing off shots left right and center at 4000-4500 rpm on engine braking every single time when I ran regular or premium.... but when I went to mid grade the gun shots went away....

I generally run mid grade on most of my vehicles... unless they ping and then I go to premium...

if you play with the timing eg advance the ignition then you need higher octane... otherwise.. go with regular or whatever you find works the best in the bike.... but to tell.. run 3 or 4 full tanks of a specific grade before you make your decision

·
Registered
644 Posts
My 99 ran best on mid grade... less backfiring and popping...

my 06 pops less on mid too... but it gets better gas mileage on regular.... and it hasn't been doing the gunshot like my 99 did unless I ran mid...
Well...Let me clarify...Our bikes run the best on 87 stock. Once you start tuning the bike, adding exhaust (Don't you run a full M4 with a power commander?), playing with intake, etc then the grade of gas you use may need to change.

Either way I am still curious for an update to find out what is actually happening to this sick bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts