Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem with my 09 sv650 is when I'm accelerating from a stop. It makes some loud scraping sound until I get to about 10 mph. The scraping noise doesn't last a long time when I'm accelerating, it just seems to last for a completely random amount of time. The sound comes from near the front wheel. I used to have problems with this before, but it only recently started doing it again. I tried searching for similar situations but no one seems to be experiencing this. I've checked the front brakes to see if there was some debris and also checked to make sure the brake pads weren't dragging. I also changed the front wheel bearings and it still makes the sound. Anyone know what the problem might be?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lift the front wheel with a stand or car cack and spin the wheel slowly to localize where the noise comes from. The only scraping noise you should hear is from the brake pads. They're always dragging a little bit.
I got it lifted and I only heard the brake pad dragging sound like you mentioned. I'll take it for a ride in the morning so I can get a more accurate location of where the sound is coming from and figure out what I'm doing that causes it. The sound might be coming from the engine. Bad engine mounts maybe?

·
Registered
282 Posts
This bike doesn't really have "engine mounts", unless you consider bolts engine mounts. Which they are, so I'm contradicting myself but bolts don't really go bad unless they break. Which I think you would notice. Did you buy the bike damaged or did it start doing this during your ownership?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This bike doesn't really have "engine mounts", unless you consider bolts engine mounts. Which they are, so I'm contradicting myself but bolts don't really go bad unless they break. Which I think you would notice. Did you buy the bike damaged or did it start doing this during your ownership?
Yeah, I guess you have a point there. It started doing this about 5 months of ownership. Everything else seems to be fine except it could probably use a new chain and sprockets soon. I took it for a short ride today and it's definitely coming from around the engine area. I took it down a hill with the engine off and it doesn't make the sound so I'm guessing it's got something to do with the engine. I've listened closely and found out that it makes the same scraping sound above 10 mph but it happens more often, is more high pitched and is shorter lasting. It seems to be based on the RPM I'm at because when I'm low at say 2,000 it's really noticeable and I can't notice it at all when I'm over 6,000.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It sounds like a chain and sprocket issue. I would replace the complete set and get it installed by someone you trust (unless you're a DIYr) if it has never had any attention.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try replacing those then. I'll update this if the problem is still present after changing them. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts