Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Comment/Discussion thread: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=2043119#post2043119

Backstory:

4th of July. Scout and I are sitting around having a beer with a couple of our neighbors, waiting for the fireworks to start. One of our neighbors friends is there as well. We all get to talking and he asks me about my bike in my garage, so we start talking about bikes.

I say that I'd love to get an old bike and fix it up, but I haven't found the right one at the right price yet, and really I hadn't been looking that hard since I had a ton of other stuff on my plate, having just bought a house.

He mentions that he's got an old '71 Cb350 in his back yard that's been sitting there for the past four or five years. His son had it before, and was "storing" (abandoning) it. Apparently the son had worked on it a little, but it hadn't run in some time, and he finally got fed up with it and gave it to his dad to fiddle with. Well, nothing much ever came of that, and the bike sat idle under a cover for the better part of five years. Which brings us to the 4th of July, 2010.

"Do you want it?"

Uh, yes. How much?

"Just come pick it up, and I'll give you $40 for gas."

:rock:

I borrowed JBSwear's trailer, and drove down to Georgetown in DC to pick up a 39 year old bike that I had never seen before. But it was free, so I didn't really mind. :)

This is what I ended up with.

Now, being as how it's a CB350, it's way too small for my Sasquatch sized ass. However, it's just right for Scout, and would make her a rockin' little bike so she can cruise around with some class, and would make a neat little cafe racer. It'll probably be a slow project that I'll only be able to work on as time and money allow. But I'm looking forward to seeing it run.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last night, I finally got around to doing a little work on the old girl.
I changed the oil, pulled and cleaned the spark plugs, checked for compression and freed up the siezed clutch cable. I have no clue if it's adjusted properly or not (probably not), But I can hear the clutch working inside the case, so that's a start.

I also took some more pics.

The old girl seems to be in pretty good shape for having sat in the dirt for half a decade.

The paint is kinda "meh", but that's all going to be redone eventually.

You can tell where some rocket surgeon either spilled something, or tried to buff out the paint, or something. But just messed the finish up more instead. It's getting stripped and repainted anyway though, so no big deal.

The gauges. Don't know if they are functional yet, but they aren't in terrible shape.

She only has a shade over 10K miles on her. :)

The inside of the tank is pretty clean, except for a layer of varnish on the bottom. Should be pretty easy to clean out.

The engine.

The bike is surprisingly free of major rust. The worst parts are the two side covers on the cylinder heads, the top caps on the carbs, the rear springs, the spokes and the fenders.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jbswear came over for a bit this afternoon with a charger and a spare battery. We cleaned the tank out, put a gallon of gas in and started cranking.....at least it turns over on it's own. It's going to need a carb rebuild and the jets are probably all clogged up, but the headlight and taillight work. And we have one functional blinker!

Also discovered that one of the PO's decided to seal up the sputs for the equalizer tube the runs between the two hemispheres of the tank. Shouldn't be difficult to fix.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp, may have hit a little SAFU with the title situation. Apparently in MD you can no longer get a salvage title the easy way. You have to go through the Circut Court in a completely BS process that can take up to two years and requires the vehicle to be roadworthy before titling and costs twice what the bike would be worth.

It's total BS and it's all due to some obscure new privacy law that got passed last year.

So... I'm hoping that the guy that gave me the bike can get ahold of his son who hopefully can find the title somewhere, or failing that, that I can find a junk CB350 with a valid title for cheap. Otherwise my little project is dead in the water. :(

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know I said I wasn't going to work on it anymore without a title, but hell, I got bored. :p

Pulled the carbs last night. One was squeaky clean!
The other... umm.... not so squeaky. :(

[Scruffy]
"Well there's your problem right there, an elephant shat in your carburater."
[/Scruffy]

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up some carb cleaner, and a battery and tender tonight. We'll see how far that gets me.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night, I cleaned, reassembled and reinstalled the carbs.

Here's a couple of "after" shots. They aren't perfect, but they are a hell of a lot cleaner than they were before. Pretty sure I got everything unclogged. Carb cleaner was flowing through every port I flushed and the floats were moving freely when I was done.

I'll do a full carb rebuild later after I'm sure the bike will run. (And I get a title for it.)

Hopefully tonight I'll start on the battery. I got an old style acid type batt for cheap so I could mess around with the bike without having to borrow a batt from JBSwear all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts