Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the deal. I'm doing a 2004 GSX-R front fork swap on my 2001 SV. I want to use my Scotts steering damper so I bought a mounting bracket for the new GSX-R triple clamp. The problem is, there is not enough clearence between the bracket and the pin that is attched to the tank.

My question is: Can I file down the mounting bracket to make it fit. It wouldn't take much. Would that decrease the structural integrity of the bracket to the point where it would be unsafe? I would really like to make this work since I already have money invested in the Scotts damper.

Thanks

PedroPat ;D
AFM #758

·
Registered
653 Posts
I believe that Scotts (maybe GPR) makes a kit for this exact application. Check out their website and send an email to the tech department.

G

·
you talking about bracket between damper and triple?
gpr one is machined there to clear.I assume Scott's can be.
pm sloasnot,he has scott's for same aplication you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it looks like it's going to work. I talked to the Scotts people today and asked them if there would be any problems filing down the mount to fit. They said no problem, so I did. Everything looks good, I'll do a short test ride around the block tomorrow.
BTW,I called the GPR people last week and they said they didn't make a special kit for the GSX-R/SV steering damper mount anymore.

Thanks

PedroPat ;D
AFM #758

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with my Scotts (even after they told me that I could order a different mount that wouldn't have any clearance problems)... I've been too lazy to file it down though, and the SV doesn't seem to head shake enough to justify the awesome gold adornment.

Any reason you don't ride it without one, just out of curiousity?

·
Registered
22 Posts
PedroPat said:
BTW,I called the  GPR people last week and they said they didn't make a special kit for the GSX-R/SV steering damper mount anymore.
They don't need to. Both the standard GSXR kit and the regular SV kit will fit. Just make sure you reqeest a number 0 arm (used only on the SV kits) and you shouldn't have any problems. The original arms for the SVs were too long and everybody else gets away with number 1 or 2 arms except the SV for some reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That good info Mike, sometimes you talk to guys at these manufacturer's who don't have the big picture like the folks on the SV forum.

Why do I want a steering damper? Comming down the hill into turn #9 at Infineon I got into a big tank slapper and it scared the shit out of me. I installed the Scotts damper and the next week at the same track. No problems at all. That was with the old stock forks. Besides I already had a Scotts damper on my F4i so I just swap them on trackdays.

PedroPat ;D
AFM #758
Pedro Point,CA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts