Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Scorpion has changed the design or manufacturing process for their visor’s (at least the clear one I received anyway). My EXO400 is about 2 years old now and I felt it about time to replace my clear visor and ordered a new anti-fog clear visor just like the one that came with it. Well as soon as I put it on the helmet this evening I knew something was different. The new visor felt flimsy and lighter than the original and sure enough, once I put on the helmet and tried to open the visor, it flexed and didn’t want to open easily. I took it off and placed the two side by side and you can see the difference. Grabbing each end and flexing the visors a bit clearly demonstrates the different feel and the new visor just lets one down versus the quality of the original. I’m sure this has been done to save some costs and these things occur, but I just wanted put the info out there for other Scorpion owners.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. I was wanting to pick up a tinted one. Maybe I'll just tint mine.
Well I can tell you the dark smoke I picked up a couple of months ago at the local dealer was just like the original. No flexing like the clear I just bought. I have fired off an email to New Enough (where the new one came from) and Scorpion's customer service pointing this out. I'll let you know if I get any responses. I think it does suck cause I've been really happy with my EXO 400 and I was planning on getting another one this year.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I bumped into a Scorpion rep at a local shop not too long ago and he started talking about the new helmets. Apparently the visors are like this now so they won't ever crack, you can take it off and curl it up and it won't break. Good for longevity I guess, but crappy for use.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have a dark smoke for my EXO700 and I thought there was a difference b/t it an the original clear. It didn't open as easily and seemed cheaper. I went back to the clear.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Nuts to this. I'm an EXO-400 haver too, and have the older clear & smoked shields. I guess if it comes to replacement now I'm screwed. :mad:

Let us know what the good folks at New Enough say...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey guys I have an EXO 400 that scorpion made for Ski-Doo. The heated double lens visor has a flip down tinted visor, but the DOT version for the motorcycle visor that came with it doesnt have that feature. I know scorpion made DOT approved motorcycle visors that had the optional flip down tinted visor and I guess what I'm wanting to know is where did you get your visors from?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I ordered a dark smoke lens for my 700 from motorcycle-superstore.

it does flex more than the stock, but it doesn't bother me really. It's optically very good, even in direct sun.

My gmax tinted visor got all milky and distorted in the sun, on the verge of unuseable.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a dark smoke lens for my 700 from motorcycle-superstore.

it does flex more than the stock, but it doesn't bother me really. It's optically very good, even in direct sun.

My gmax tinted visor got all milky and distorted in the sun, on the verge of unuseable.
I agree that the optical quality is very good on my new one, my major concern is the fact that it doesn't seal up against the eyeport gasket as well and looks like it could let in rain through the top. I don't ride in the rain much, but I do get caught on occasion.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Interesting observation, TS. I just bought an EXO-400 for grins and giggles. I'm on the quest to play with a bunch of different helmets. I have an EXO1000 that I bought to replace my crashed EXO1000 last October. I just had to send it in to Scorpion for replacement (I hope) because the liner at the collar was coming apart. So far they've been very helpfull but we'll see where this goes. I'm gonna call today 'cuz I know they received it day before yesterday.

I'm most impressed with that EXO400. It fits great, is very comfortable and light, and best of all...cheaply priced for the quality. I'm gonna try a EXO700 next. I'll have to watch for that flimsy visor, though.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting observation, TS. I just bought an EXO-400 for grins and giggles. I'm on the quest to play with a bunch of different helmets. I have an EXO1000 that I bought to replace my crashed EXO1000 last October. I just had to send it in to Scorpion for replacement (I hope) because the liner at the collar was coming apart. So far they've been very helpfull but we'll see where this goes. I'm gonna call today 'cuz I know they received it day before yesterday.

I'm most impressed with that EXO400. It fits great, is very comfortable and light, and best of all...cheaply priced for the quality. I'm gonna try a EXO700 next. I'll have to watch for that flimsy visor, though.
Yeah, I've had a couple of other helmets since buying my EXO400 a couple of years ago and none of them fit or felt as well as the scorpion. I think that's a very important part of deciding on a helmet cause an uncomfortable helmet is just not a good idea :). In my case the Scorpion design fits me better than anything I've tried so I want to stick with them. What is said above is true about the visors being the same for the 400's and 700's so it will come down to how long ago the helmet was made and when they changed the design. I'm going to go to my local dealer next week and see what they have in stock for extra visors and if they have the older, thicker ones, I may grab a couple of them.

Mountains out of molehills?? perhaps, but it's my molehill and I can cry if I want to, cry if I want toooo...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Response from New Enough..

Brandon, Thanks for the info. You are right they are trying to make shields and such lighter. They tell us that they still hold up to the same amount of force as the thicker shields. Anyways we will take you comments to heart. Please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you.
Thanks. Sincerely,

Daniel Almsted,
General Manager New Enough Motorcycle Apparel
www.newenough.com
888-530-7351

Fair enough. At least it confirms that indeed something has changed and I'm not crazy (ok, it confirms something has changed anyway).

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
NE always gives fast feedback. Gotta love 'em... even if the product wasn't to your liking. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts