Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking to Superbikeplanet.com, on the outside chance that MotoGP could be without an American rider next season, Schwantz said: "Nick doesn't deserve to be replaced by a guy named Crutchlow, who says if he had a factory bike, he could be winning. He [Crutchlow] hasn't been on the frickin' podium yet."

Who would you choose between Crutchlow and Hayden?

Read more: [URL="http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Jul/120717yanke.htm]No Americans in Blue Ribbon Class
[/URL]

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Spies will be in motogp next season.
He hasn't signed yet, and there are supposed rumors of him going back to WSBK.

He's currently 10th in the championship. Both tech 3s are way higher on the championship leader board than he is, do the math.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
He hasn't signed yet, and there are supposed rumors of him going back to WSBK.

He's currently 10th in the championship. Both tech 3s are way higher on the championship leader board than he is, do the math.
The season is only half over. Spies should have strong runs at the upcoming American rounds which will build his confidence for when the series resumes in Europe. Dorna desperately wants to build MotoGP's presence in America (especially with three races here next year if Austin happens) and not having a contending American rider in the series won't help them achieve that. Unless the bizarre events that have plagued him the first half of the season continue Ben is the likely choice for Dorna to focus their efforts on and they will encourage Yamaha to keep him on the factory team. Hopefully Nicky will stay in the series but the chances of him getting a works ride are slim unless he is able to remain at Ducati. Crutchlow has been in the series for two years now but still has no wins or podiums. Spies had both in his first two years. Dovi had his shot on a works machine but only managed one (wet race) win. Of course Rossi is still the wildcard in this on going silly season. Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
What has happened with Crutchlow? I thought Sunday night was the deadline for him to sign the Ducati offer. Did I miss something?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
The season is only half over. Spies should have strong runs at the upcoming American rounds which will build his confidence for when the series resumes in Europe. Dorna desperately wants to build MotoGP's presence in America (especially with three races here next year if Austin happens) and not having a contending American rider in the series won't help them achieve that. Unless the bizarre events that have plagued him the first half of the season continue Ben is the likely choice for Dorna to focus their efforts on and they will encourage Yamaha to keep him on the factory team. Hopefully Nicky will stay in the series but the chances of him getting a works ride are slim unless he is able to remain at Ducati. Crutchlow has been in the series for two years now but still has no wins or podiums. Spies had both in his first two years. Dovi had his shot on a works machine but only managed one (wet race) win. Of course Rossi is still the wildcard in this on going silly season. Just my 2 cents worth...
Well I was going to say, "do you really think the Dorna or whatever will keep a mediocre to subpar american rider on a factory bike JUST to keep an interest in the american market?"

Then I thought about all those years with Edwards with Rossi on Yamaha. Edwards is a good rider, don't get me wrong, but he was never really a consistent top teir rider on the factory bike.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I can't believe Ben Spies' season so far. What a nightmare. The guy deserves better luck.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I guess I will go ahead and be the first to answer the OP's question: I would choose Crutchlow over Hayden. Hayden has been around for ever and has failed to materialize consistant, championship winning drive. I see Crutchlow as being more hungry and kind of an up-and-comer, while Hayden is on the way down. Or, actually his form is up this year, but probably only because he is trying too little too late to retain his seat.

In other words, Crutchlow has more potential. It is time for Hayden to go help WSBK become even more interesting and exciting.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well I was going to say, "do you really think the Dorna or whatever will keep a mediocre to subpar american rider on a factory bike JUST to keep an interest in the american market?"
Spies: Mediocre to subpar American rider ?? I won't even respond to such bullsh!t and certainly won't pay any attn to future post from you as your obviously detatched from reality (I hope you were kidding). And by the way, American should be capitalized poppy (good grief)...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can it be that Ducati has a difficult Motogp bike? Factory or not Ducati has only had one successful rider in recent years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hayden has been consistently outperforming Rossi, and Dovi has been consistently outperforming Crutchlow. True, Hayden is infinitely more professional and humble than Crutchlow, so he gets less off-track camera time. Seriously, what makes Crutchlow deserve a factory position over Hayden or Dovi? Is MotoGP for racers or actors?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hayden has been consistently outperforming Rossi, and Dovi has been consistently outperforming Crutchlow. True, Hayden is infinitely more professional and humble than Crutchlow, so he gets less off-track camera time. Seriously, what makes Crutchlow deserve a factory position over Hayden or Dovi? Is MotoGP for racers or actors?
Rossi has outperformed Hayden in 5 out of 9 races and is two places higher in the championship. Hayden has done better than Rossi when it comes to qualifying and practice but last I checked, it is a racing championship and not a qualifying or practice championship.

Crutchlow doesn't deserve a factory ride over Dovi, but I think people are less likely to give Dovi a chance because he was on a factory bike and was consistently out-ridden by his two team mates. In a sense, he had his chance. It is almost like he rides better on satellite teams than factory teams. If he doesn't get a factory bike, I hope he switches to WSBK. Along with Hayden, and Edwards and Spies.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
He doesn't ride better on satellite bikes. There are just fewer top riders at the front. All you have is JLo, Stoner and Pedrosa, and no Rossi. Any one of those go down and you have a good chance of a podium, which is what happened in the past few races.

As for Crutchlow, if you look up his record, all he's ever won was a WSS title, that's it. One wonders why he's in MotoGP, but he seems to be doing alright, and it isn't about what you "deserve" but whether a team owner sees potential in you. I would agree that Nicki doesn't seem to have the same fire or ability, and Cal might be much hungrier, which would be attractive to a team owner.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Spies: Mediocre to subpar American rider ?? I won't even respond to such bullsh!t and certainly won't pay any attn to future post from you as your obviously detatched from reality (I hope you were kidding). And by the way, American should be capitalized poppy (good grief)...
Do I THINK Spies is a mediocre/subpar Motogp rider? No.

IS HE PERFORMING LIKE ONE THIS YEAR?

Sure as hell is. The expectation was that Spies would be fighting for championships as soon as he got a seat on a factory ride, he hasn't even been close. Now you have other riders in the series that have been catching more steam, and he's been going backwards.

It only makes sense.

In professional sports, it's not always about what you've done, but what you're doing.

If Micheal Jordan all the sudden dipped to 14 points a game (from 32) and 25% shooting percentage do you think he'd be worth the same price the following the year? Nope.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
redbullsv, should have linked to this. I thought you were just talking sh1t :p But it looks like he actually did announce leaving at the end of this year, but it isn't official yet.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I figured he just mumbled something in an interview without much intent behind it. Instead, he emailed superbikeplanet. For him to announce that before Yamaha tells me something big happened and he was not happy in the team at all. They were probably up his a55 for results, some say he was getting parts to test for Jorge like a test mule.

Wonder what he'll do next. Wonder if Yamaha will keep him for the rest of the season having been usurped like this to the press.

A guy that completely dominates WSBK in the only year he's there, on tracks he's never seen, against Bayliss' Ducati, you can't say he isn't talented. Weird situation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts