Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know nothing about them. :)

winters can get into mid thirties on a bad year here, and i want to be prepared.

what are good brands, how extensive is the mod? any tips, anything imparticular i should be aware of.

i also already have power and ground on a two prong trailer type plug up near the neck of the bike. its wired with an inline fuse and a relay so its hot only when the bike is on. not sure if this could be of use.

so far im looking at these: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts...le_grip_heaters_with_round_rocker_switch.html

but like i said, i know nothing about this mod so i dont know if these are any good or not.

and this has nothing to do with this imparticular subject, but id probably be replacing my grips. any recommendations on some that help with vibration?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have the grips in the link on my 03. They are pretty decent for the price but once at speed, the wind on the back of your fingers is still cold. There is a temp difference from side to side sure to the grip installed on metal on the left and plastic on the right.
I removed the left grip with an air compressor, using a ball needle (football/basketball) between the tube and bar - I was able to kinda"milk"the grip off the bar. I replaced my throttle tube with an r6 tube and grips all at once. I think I used a writeup by canyonchaser - a little google and you will find it.

For the vibration, try heavier bar ends, a bar snake, lead shot in the bars, or look into the bar heaters that insert into your bars.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I had the symtec and they were pretty warm IIRC. The next option is something like HotGrips. I have the HotGrips and on high, they pretty much scold my hand at 50. I've ridden with them when it was 18f, 10 miles combination highway and city, though still a half hour out, but you still get cold. Your finger tips and thumbs especially.

With the wind, you try to grip the grips tighter, but that has the negative effect of removing blood from your hands, making them colder.

So to a great degree, its a personal thing, how much cold you can stand, etc.

You probably want to combine these with a relay, so that the grips will turn off with the bike off, even if you forget and leave the switch on.

You can add some protection with hand guards off a V-Strom, which are like $60 new.

The most heat effective thing is probably hippo hands, but they're kinda fugly.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for reminding me about the hand guards. Im going to look into those as well. Im definitely going to do a relay setup. I worked as a mechanic for the county i live in for four years, and all the drivers would add crap like water pumps and inverters for microwaves and them wonder why their truck is dead after leaving stuff on. So i know that scenario all too well to let it happen. I think so far im gonna go with the symtecs with handguards and the protaper grips.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm really loving my "hand guards off a V-Strom, which are like $60 new" right now. Temps are in the mid 20s-30s today. Rode my scooter with no guards for about 20 minutes on the freeway and 20 minutes on side roads. Hands were fine on sideroads but on freeway were frozen. Rode the SV with hand guards for 20 minutes on freeway and plenty toasty. Using firstgear explorer gauntlets. I actually like the look of the beefy hand guards.

Pictures (not mine nor my bike) for reference-

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've got the vstrom hand guards as well, and they definitely help. Just installed symtecs, and with this combination I'm hoping I won't have to wear bulky winter gloves most of the time.

One thing with the handguards: I don't think they come down far enough, and thus my fingers tips are still in the wind. I've thought about fabricating some kind of extension on the bottom, but maybe the heated grips will be enough.

A friend gave me a pair of hippohands for the ride home from asheville to chapel hill, (3.5hrs) after I froze my arse off on the way up (granted it was nighttime..ugggghh), and my hands were toasty the whole way! However, I found them pretty ungainly and annoying to use. I haven't used them since, and probably won't unless I've got to do a long superslab slog in the cold. Nothing else will keep the wind from robbing your hands warmth like they do though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts