Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st post! Howdy everyone...Young rider from Montreal Canada here with a question. Been riding for a couple of summers now, got my new SV650 naked in 07. I had originally wanted all back but settled on the dark grey Suzuki offered since it was that or blue. Im not a big fan of shine, bling, chrome or gloss so I really like the idea of painting my bike with a satin black color...basically every piece that comes in grey minus the tank (would like to paint the chrome headlight ring as well) Seeing bikes like danted's only increase my desire to go ahead with this.

I gave my seat cover into a car body shop to see what the paint would be like and its a bit too glossy for my liking...that and its not durable enough. Maybe it hasnt cured long enough but its quite easy to dig a fingernail into. I was thinking life might be easier if I got a can of spray paint at the hardware store and tried it myself...any good spray's? If only they made black plastic aftermarket parts!

So what have you done/used to make your bike satin?

Also, whats the generic name of the tape that can withstand high temps that people usually put on their mufflers?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
66 Posts
if your diggin a nail into it...its not dry/cured. should be kept in a 60* or higher room for a week before you touch wet paint.

satin is the way to go tho. it doesnt show prints on it like the flat blacks will and isnt too hard to spray even.

i think ppg makes a satin black, but not in a spray can. i'm not sure which brand is best for that.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i used a satin black to paint my ranchero. doing a bike would be much easier. barbeque paint also works well since it's high heat. when it comes time to paint, you could do it in a garage with a small bottle of propane and a heater. my brother just painted his engine bay in his volkswagen with rattle cans and it came out better than the original paint. he had the single car garage at 97* haha. it was cooking in there.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
just a propane heater. you want to paint anything at above 60*. the warmer the better. it allows the paint to cure properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i rode and built my own choppers for awhile. they were all satin black, not flat black. I always used plain krylon and it always came out great. just make sure your prep the surfaces well and spray evenly. Dont buy that rust tough ****. it sucks. just the plain old krylon in the white can will do just fine. buy enough cans though. tank and fenders would be about 3-4 cans. get one them spray gun thingy things. makes life easier. its this gadget that looks like a gun and you snap your can into it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes. prep work is very important!!! VERY!!!

bed liner, as long as you get a good one, works very well! I did the gastank and fender on my busa fighter and it was bad ass. this IS a textured paint.

i've seen some of these that were like brown, so make sure you spray it on the shelf at the store before you purchase it. I used...Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I used the krylon bbq paint. It looks pretty good, not 100% what I was expecting but still nice. Its got a small texture to it so it almost looks like a plastic unpainted part. I believe the texture came from sand blasting the parts before hand for better adhesion. Im wondering if I should clear coat it with semi gloss to make sure it doesnt chip or scratch and so its a bit less porous. Do people here usually clear coat?

·
Registered
66 Posts
never cleared it before. . . clear adds shine dont it??? it would def smooth it out tho. mbe wet sand it and go at it again instead?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I rattle canned my '79 Honda a flat black and then put numerous coats of clear over it. I took it out and one hot day the gas tank over flowed and the gas ate the paint. I would also have some splash back and that would leave spots on the finish. Not good. I had a buddy re-paint it with an Automotive black gloss and it came out pretty good. I then too the time to sand, buff and color sand the finish. After that I never had another problem and the finish is still great. If I ever paint the SV I'll do it the same way...Automotive paint and a good sand, buff/color sand job afterwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts