1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Sad that Paterno didn't live to see this, it would have been nice to see him on the stand trying to justify why he didn't do anything to stop it years ago when allegations were first brought against his friend.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Resolution, finally.
Far from it being done yet. There will be a few more people at Penn State facing trial for covering this up (emails discussing covering it up between the former athletic director, university president, and others have already been dug up by the press) as well civil cases filed by the victims against Sandusky and the University. The former AD and a finance official have already been charged and are awaiting trial.

This will stretch out at least another year or two.

I didn't think that this had a chance of bringing down the entire football program, but there were 2 lawyers on ESPN last night with both saying that they would be surprised if the NCAA didn't go for the death penalty for the football program under the "failure to maintain institutional control" statute once the next wave of charges and trials against the university president, AD, and more start up.

The more interesting angle to me is Sandusky's wife. How actions like this happened between her husband and little children (including an adopted child of theirs) for decades, in her house while she was home, without her being aware is pretty much impossible. She either knew exactly what was going on or is one of the dumbest people in the state of PA. If she had any inkling of what was going on and kept her mouth shut she should die in jail, just like her husband will.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Fire everyone at Penn who had anything to do with Football, Paterno, the cover up and any rumors of this scandal because winning at football wasn't more important then destroying young lives.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
kill em all!

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
End football as a sanctioned sport.
Great, so the only football would be the unsanctioned kind? Played in dank back alleys with rusty gear and dim lighting? We need to sanction it, keep it in the open, so we can tax it, regulate it, and make it safe. let's face it, football is going to happen whether it's sanctioned or not. We might as well get some benefits out of it and make it as safe as possible.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Great, so the only football would be the unsanctioned kind? Played in dank back alleys with rusty gear and dim lighting? We need to sanction it, keep it in the open, so we can tax it, regulate it, and make it safe. let's face it, football is going to happen whether it's sanctioned or not. We might as well get some benefits out of it and make it as safe as possible.
I agree. Just look at Amsterdam.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts

The more interesting angle to me is Sandusky's wife. How actions like this happened between her husband and little children (including an adopted child of theirs) for decades, in her house while she was home, without her being aware is pretty much impossible. She either knew exactly what was going on or is one of the dumbest people in the state of PA. If she had any inkling of what was going on and kept her mouth shut she should die in jail, just like her husband will.
I wouldn't be so fast to judge. It is easy for someone that is outside to say, much harder when it is you. If she wasn't involved then she would have get over the denial of what was going on, whic is harder then you think. Also she has to get over her fear of him, again harder then you think it is. You also assume she isn't a victim too.

I don't think rushing to judgement is a good idea here because you would make it harder for those that are currently in her situation to come out. Which is te opposite of what we want to do.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Possibly he will get the treatment in prison and won't live out his sentence, but you are right his wife is either complicit or stupid neither of which helps the victims.
Far from it being done yet. There will be a few more people at Penn State facing trial for covering this up (emails discussing covering it up between the former athletic director, university president, and others have already been dug up by the press) as well civil cases filed by the victims against Sandusky and the University. The former AD and a finance official have already been charged and are awaiting trial.

This will stretch out at least another year or two.

I didn't think that this had a chance of bringing down the entire football program, but there were 2 lawyers on ESPN last night with both saying that they would be surprised if the NCAA didn't go for the death penalty for the football program under the "failure to maintain institutional control" statute once the next wave of charges and trials against the university president, AD, and more start up.

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
I wouldn't be so fast to judge. It is easy for someone that is outside to say, much harder when it is you. If she wasn't involved then she would have get over the denial of what was going on, whic is harder then you think. Also she has to get over her fear of him, again harder then you think it is. You also assume she isn't a victim too.

I don't think rushing to judgement is a good idea here because you would make it harder for those that are currently in her situation to come out. Which is te opposite of what we want to do.
-1 on speed to judge. The stepson came forward, she had her chance. To not realize a child is being abused in your home is criminal. Idgaf what anyone thinks on that.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Still bitter about not making the team in junior high?
LAWLZ

There is no *safe* in football. No, I'm not Mama from The Waterboy; it isn't the debil. But it cannot be made safe. There is no way (available now) to prevent head trauma when the head is forced to suddenly stop, by collision, from speeds approaching 30+ miles per hour. There is no known way to prevent destroyed knees from lateral collisions with 200+ pound battering rams.

By the way, I do like the illegal abortion reference. +3.7 internets to you!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
LAWLZ

There is no *safe* in football. No, I'm not Mama from The Waterboy; it isn't the debil. But it cannot be made safe. There is no way (available now) to prevent head trauma when the head is forced to suddenly stop, by collision, from speeds approaching 30+ miles per hour. There is no known way to prevent destroyed knees from lateral collisions with 200+ pound battering rams.

By the way, I do like the illegal abortion reference. +3.7 internets to you!
So where do you stand on other contact sports? Is hockey too violent? How about lacrosse? Wrestling? Boxing?

Do you realize that more kids die (percentage wise and total numbers) playing little league than in youth football?

Maybe all sports should be banned, that way no one would get injured, or even get their feelings hurt...

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
If you remove their helmets, take away all the pads, eliminate the forward pass, make the field bigger, the game longer - say 80 minutes, and add 4 more players to each side, it would be soooo much better. ;D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts