Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a convient store last night and seen a salvage car/bike book they were selling. Looking through i seen some actually nice bikes for sale dirt cheap such as a daytona 955 and a few street triples in there. They said cosmetic damages and such, but nothing wrong with key components. Im handy and can do repairs to engine if anything was minor but not when it comes to frame work. Was wondering if anyone else has really looked into these books and if so, i want advice on how good or bad these deals really are. I want to start a stable here with a few bikes and am looking for a good project bike that needs alittle bit of work. Any advice on these?

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I've bought salvaged vehicles before, in fact the Jeep I drive was bought at a salvage auction. My dad owns an autobody shop so it was a little easier for me. I think the biggest thing is to know what to look for and look to the vehicle over closly.

You'd be amazed at what some people will to to make vehicles look less damaged than they are.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I get bikes from auction - let me know what exactly you need help with.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have had a salvaged bike and car and will never do it again. Resale can be tough, real tough. Although it depends on the state you live in. A dealership for example in Iowa will not even consider taking anything in on trade that is salvaged. I learned this the hard way and so did my cousin.

Like 02svrider said, some of the people that deal with the salvage stuff are shady.

I said I would never own another salvage vehicle, with that in mind i would say that if you plan to keep the vehicle for the rest of its life or need it for spare parts or will be converting it to a track bike and replacing most of the parts anyway then go for it.

Otherwise, buyer beware.

Most banks in my area will not give you a loan for salvage and will not insure them. Again this is in my state, other states are different. Some will even let you get a rebuilt title etc.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
First, check local laws and regulations. Second, check local insurance companies to see how hard it would be to insure. Third, consider the resale question carefully.

I have a friend who always buys salvage cars. He knows enough about cars to assess them, he buys late model, low mileage cars, and he travels a lot in his job, so the cars get to very high mileages quickly (250,000K is when he starts looking for another vehicle) so resale is unimportant to him. In his case salvage cars make excellent sense. Just an example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts