Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is my problem. I have a 2004 gsxr1000 front end no my second gen sv650s. I am only 150lbs with gear and the front springs in this setup are supposed to be ideal for my weight (0.85). However, despite having all the preload out I can only get 2.8 cm or sag. It does also feel a little harsh. should I use lighter springs.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
.85 sounds pretty light for 150lbs. Call Rich Desmond and see if he agrees on the .8.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
One inch equals 2.54cm or 25.4mm. For street riding, many start with a sag of maybe 30-35mm in the rear and maybe 32mm in the front. For riding on the track, those numbers may drop to 25mm. If the adjusters are at the min or full soft and your wgt produces a sag of 28mm, then the springs are too stiff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can anyone with the same setup tell me how much sag they get? I am starting to suspect that the previous owner of the forks changed the springs to something stiffer. Also is it possible that my forks were bent when I crashed into a dog and lowsided some time ago? Can slightly bent forks affect sag?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Can slightly bent forks affect sag?
Yes. If they are bent to the point that they bind, you won't get the full travel. If you can't tell visually and don't want to disassemble to look at springs, I'd take it to a competent shop to get it looked at. Bent forks are usually obvious, though. How does it ride/handle?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
can anyone with the same setup tell me how much sag they get? I am starting to suspect that the previous owner of the forks changed the springs to something stiffer. Also is it possible that my forks were bent when I crashed into a dog and lowsided some time ago? Can slightly bent forks affect sag?
0.85s are only slightly stiff for you, probably not worth changing to 0.80s.
Bent forks can affect your sag measurements by adding stiction. How are you measuring? It takes at least two people, preferably 3, and you need to do it carefully and repeat a couple of times.
Are you measuring total sag, the difference between the fork fully extended (no weight on it) and where it is with you on it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My total sag is on average 2.8cm measured propperly (first pushing down and letting it settle and the pulling up and letting it settle). The stiction is about 1cm-1.5 cm. the ride is rather harsh on bumpy roads but ok on smooth roads.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
My total sag is on average 2.8cm measured propperly (first pushing down and letting it settle and the pulling up and letting it settle). The stiction is about 1cm-1.5 cm. the ride is rather harsh on bumpy roads but ok on smooth roads.
That's a huge amount of stiction, something's wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Try asking her, I bet she knows everything about sag:

Jokes aside, If I want to measure sag, can I just push down on the handle bars while having both feet down, or do I need to have somebody holding the bike up and me pushing down, while my feet are on the pegs?

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Yea, I thought 4mm was the upper limit of stiction.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Try asking her, I bet she knows everything about sag:

Jokes aside, If I want to measure sag, can I just push down on the handle bars while having both feet down, or do I need to have somebody holding the bike up and me pushing down, while my feet are on the pegs?
Feet have to be up, the purpose is to measure sag while your weight is loading the suspension.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't think that 1cm of stiction is a lot. Most places I have read say that up to 15mm is normal. Anyway what could be causing it and how can I reduce it?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I didn't think that 1cm of stiction is a lot. Most places I have read say that up to 15mm is normal. Anyway what could be causing it and how can I reduce it?
Maybe a bent tube or bent lower triple clamp. Or something wrong or worn internally. Only way to know is to pull them apart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts