Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, something I've been thinking about this summer is picking up a really cheap older motorcycle, like a 70s era kz such as this:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/1156356073.html

cleaning and syncing the carbs and just beating it up around the city to get me from a to b. I really want the vintage look, so I happen to have a beat up old motorcycle jacket that still fits me, the black leather kind. It's an actual motorcycle jacket with the appropriate grade leather and stitching, so I'm not worried about that.

I can pick up a pair of reinforced riding jeans and some icon super-duty boots to keep with the style. This is my only real concern:

I really don't think a full-face helmet will go with it all. I was thinking about picking up an open face helmet and goggles to really complete the look. But I just don't know about it, I'm not sure how much I'm willing to compromise safety, even if it's just a kz400 around town.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My 2 cents:

Long ago, when I was into the cruiser scene, I rode with a 1/2 helmet. Yeah, only for 'looks'. :rolleyes:

After taking numerous bugs, rocks and even a lit cigarette butt to the face, I realized how stupid I was.

I will never again ride without a full-face helmet. Think about landing face down on the asphalt at 60 mph. Imagine eating through a tube after grinding your lower jaw away. No thanks.

IMHO, a nice plain black full face helmet will 'fit' the look just fine.

:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
well since you are asking for opinions, i would say stop worrying about your style and wear a full face helmet. around town at 30mph is still plenty especially in a head on collision situation.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Get a solid color full face ... White, Silver or Black.

Goes with everything ... and protects your face.

Here I am cutting quite the vintage dash on a 1960s Ducati:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okeedokee

when I was looking at the open face (after thinking of the idea) it kind of made me quesy, honestly. I was like "ehhh", but I was wondering if it would still look cool to have a full face.

I can get a flat back full face without an issue, probably pick up an hjc on closeout for cheap.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
You could take a look at the Schuberth J1, best crash protection ever for a more or less open-face helmet. Price will be prohibitive in the US probably, though (it is in Germany already :)).

I saw one guy with it and it was reasonably ok looking (I´m not a fan of open-face helmets).

Here´s a pic:

Ciao
Jan

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
I just don't know about it, I'm not sure how much I'm willing to compromise safety, even if it's just a kz400 around town.
Manhattan has some of the crappiest pavement (on/off ramps on the FDR for example) and the most aggressive drivers (many of them amateurs driving cousin Ogbogu to JFK in a borrowed car, I believe) in America. "Around town" there is a traffic battlefield. Don't compromise on your safety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts