Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a nice day today, so I thought I would spend some time cleaning up my new-to-me SV.

Imagine my surprise when I found this:

Ewww! I don't even know where to begin to clean up this rusty shock.

Any tips? I tried looking for this fine product online, but I guess it isn't sold anymore:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I guess it might be better to get a second hand one in good condition. I'm sure many people here who have upgraded theirs will be willing to sell you one for next to nothing.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rust... oh its ruined, time to upgrade. :evil6:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wasn't really suggesting that. However, if you want it to look clean it might be better to spent 30 dollars than try to clean that up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, fellas. I'm on a low budget, and I think I found a great solution!

Check it out:

Should have it looking like new in no time!

I wasn't really suggesting that. However, if you want it to look clean it might be better to spent 30 dollars than try to clean that up.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Since the rust has pitted through the paint, how is your procedure going to make the spring look new without removing the paint? I would at least cover the chain or remove the shock, you won't be able to access the entire spring. That shock is not worth the effort. But, it's your time and bike. Post up after pics.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I'm no bike guru, but taking a dremel to the spring seems like one of those sketchy things my hillbilly neighbors would do.

Hit up the for sale section on here, and get a used shock for less than $30. Or find a 636 shock for $50 and ride happy.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I'm no bike guru, but taking a dremel to the spring seems like one of those sketchy things my hillbilly neighbors would do.
+1

Scratches to the surface of a spring is asking for trouble. You're better off with rust! Some manufacturers bead blast springs to eliminate the very thing you are creating.

Get another shock. A used stock shock would be uber cheap.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
k, seriously OP, for the minor investment of eating ramen for a week, you can seriously improve your SV's handling, rid yourself of the rust, and get your hands dirty (priceless). We're not effing with you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but u know 30 bones can buy a lot of beer!

I found a special tip for the dremel, might try that next.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Introducing localized temper changes - check
Adding stress concentrations on a fatigue part - check
Grinding on something inside the bike - check

Yup... Nothing can go wrong here

Would have been better leaving it alone. Or if it reall bugged you, use some Navel Jelly

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Dremel wasn't working out like I expected, so I decided to pull the shock off the bike.

Then, I found this:

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're new here, and new to the SV i see. You can go ahead and fix that shock up if you would like...but like numerous others have said...its not worth it...its a pogo stick of a shock that is severely under dampened and makes all bumps in the road about 10x worse. Its harsh ride detracts from most riding around and when pushed results in the tail wagging like a dog lookin for dinner. Look at your options for replacement seriously...I waited two years and wished I would have done it day one...ZX10R, 636, GSXR...the list goes on and on and gives you rebound and compression adjustment...you dont have those right now, only preload on a sh1tty shock.

The SV's are great bikes, once a few upgrades are done...from the factory Suzuki cheaped out on the suspension (both front and rear), the brakes (a set of aftermarket pads and stainless lines will fix you up) and the tires (burn those dunflops off and get something decent) replace as things wear out and you will end up with an awesome bike...

Have fun on er and watch out for idiot drivers...

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas, fellas. I'm on a low budget, and I think I found a great solution!

Check it out:

Should have it looking like new in no time!
Blasting a grease-coated (and apparently new) chain with bits of grinding wheel and steel; what could possibly go wrong? :sbmfacepalm:

Put the tools down and ask some questions first. You'll get plenty of help and good advice here, and save yourself a bunch of grief and expense.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Asked the wife what she uses to clean up greasy pans, and she recommended this:

Well, I figured it should work on my rusty shock, too!

I think I need a brillo brush, the sponge isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You should put that shock in the oven at 500 for 3 hours - it will re-condition the spring, and make it very gixxah like.......!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts