Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, question for those more experienced. I'm looking at buying a used SV650 after lusting after them for years, will be my first bike. Looks clean and seller claims recent service/completely mechanically sound. But there's some serious rusting on gas cap, and I'm guessing in tank. I've seen some DIY's on fixing it and seems fairly simple but I'm not sure if this is a big red flag and I should run from this sale. Attached a pic.

Opinions? Help a noob out :LOL:

1596148284249.png

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well, in the worst case rust has clogged the fuel filter, which is a $150 part and requires disassembly of the fuel pump. I don't know how hard it is to remove rust inside the tank, but if you're unsuccessful, a new tank runs around $800. I'd deduct these costs from your offer, because realistically you'll have to spent that money on repairs for a bike that seems to have been neglected.

·
Super Moderator
6,860 Posts
With rust like that on the cap, you could be in for fuel system troubles for sure. Look inside the tank with a bright flashlight.

What does the rest of the bike look like? Chain rusted? Paint faded? Sat outside most of its life?

If so, pass on it unless you can get it cheap and don't mind a few projects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts