Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. So I have an 05 naked sv. My condo doesn't have a garage so lately I have had to leave me bike outside (covered of course). With all the rain in NJ, I am already seeing slight rust on the chain, and maybe what looks like minor spots on the brake disks. Anyhow I know indoor storage is the ideal thing to do, but if I can't, is there any kind of spray or substance that you can spray on all the metal as rust protection? I realize this may be a stupod question, but there has got to be something.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
189 Posts
can't you read
Oops I guess not. Sorry! :hug:

Well then, keep your chain well lubricated/waxed so that water does not rest on it (especially on the tops of the chain).

With the disk brake rusting, just ignore it. After 1 block of riding and braking, the brake pads will strip them away.

The last thing you could do is face the chain side of the bike away from the sunlight as much as possible.

Finally, just enjoy riding the bike and don't worry too much about the rust.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You may have to do regular chain maintenance more often. Some riders clean and wax their chain after every ride in the rain. What is your schedule now w/ cleaning and lubing your chain?

I am sure there are some spray coatings that are similar to cars but I doubt it would do any good on the rotors if its occurring in an area outside where the brake pad is applied.

You might be due for some new rotors? Post some pics and maybe you'll get more feedback.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I would NEVER put anything on the rotors other than brake cleaner or contact cleaner. If you have a little cosmetic rust, some fine steel wool should get it off.
As for the chain, keep it clean with kerosene, & well-lubed, & you shouldn't have rust problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may have to do regular chain maintenance more often. Some riders clean and wax their chain after every ride in the rain. What is your schedule now w/ cleaning and lubing your chain?
Thanks for the info. I certianly dont clean and wax the chain after every wide where the chain gets wet, then again, I very rarely ride in the rain. I would say about every 400 miles I at the least spray the chain down with a dry wax lube..and twice a season do more of a "cleaning" of the chain which for me is using wd40, then rinse and dry, then lube..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by the way, thanks everyone for the tips

·
Registered
253 Posts
..and twice a season do more of a "cleaning" of the chain which for me is using wd40, then rinse and dry, then lube..
if you surf other threads on here on this subject you'll find that people suggest that you use kerosene (lamp oil) to clean the chain, not WD40, which may damage to chain O-rings over time.

good luck,
cheers,

·
Registered
78 Posts
On the sv650.org forum, a lot of riders recommend spraying the bike down with ACF50 (except the brake rotors and tyres) before the onset of the winter riding season, and not washing it until spring.

If I were leaving mine outside in wet weather, I'd buy a waterproof cover and rust inhibitor of some sort. Luckily, the 'garage queen' doesn't see much inclement weather...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts